JW in New Orleans in the news

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/suspect-machete-attack-new-orleans-airport-has-died-n327841

The machete attacker at the New Orleans airport was a JW. He had a history of mental health problems and "refused certain medical care". By that, I assume he refused blood.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Mentally ill Jehovahs Witness? Say it aint so!

For real though, its a tragedy, and bizarre that he would refuse blood (assuming that is what happened), while still planning to hurt others at the airport. Clearly he wasn't all there, which may not have too much to do with JW's.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    "White was a former Army serviceman, long since retired and living off Social Security and disability checks. He also was a deeply religious man, she said, a Jehovah's Witness who shunned Western medicine and encouraged Jackson to use herbal remedies, even to treat her diabetes. Jackson said the Whites attended the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses near the airport at 301 Veterans Memorial Blvd. in Kenner."

MORE REPORTING

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Clearly he wasn't all there, which may not have too much to do with JW's.

As much as JWs are taught to believe that they are special, they have the same "imperfections" as everyone else.

• stillin
    stillin
    I hate this sort of bad press for the Witnesses. Most of them are absolutely harmless, other than the obvious problems.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon
    The separation work, he started a little early..
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

This machete wielding brother passed away earlier this evening, so, I wonder if his funeral will be held at the Hall?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

In the reports I've seen that mention he was a JW, it's brought up in the context of: 1) refusing certain medical care, 2) quote of the neighbor who said he was a JW who shunned Western medicine and encouraged herbal remedies (That's not exactly a WT policy, but not uncommon among the JWs I've known).

None of the local news broadcasts I've seen mention that he was a JW.

It's a tragedy. And he might have done the same thing regardless of which religion he belonged to. But I see this event as a huge smear against WT's "Da Troof Transforms Lives" type of articles. WT is like every other religion that can report "We transform some lives for the better, but we still have plenty that can fly off the rails at any moment."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit