true story

a New England congregation had to have a "local needs"
    talk on why brothers shouldn't be going to topless bars
    and strip shows.

Hey GB! It's all quietly rotting away!

metatron

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

that's pretty messed up. the weirdest felling i got during a local needs talk we had was about me. I had done something wrong, (committed on of those ten commandment sins) and immediatly after my 'private' reproof, they had a huge blaring local needs talk on it, all the while the elder giving it staring at me. I didn't flinch at it. I was only 14, after all. But their 'private' reproofs are rarely private.

Makes me wonder though, who were the people going to the bars? MS's? Elders?
    {snicker}

ashi

• rhett
    rhett

I remember one springtime back in high school I was dating a really great girl from school and there was a local needs talk on dating outside of the organization and how horrible it was. A few weeks later I had my own little private reproof from the guy that gave the talk, repeatedly. What I still get a good laugh out of to this day is that as soon as that school year was over his daughter who had just graduated DA'd herself and moved in with the 35yr old manager of the McDonald's she worked at. This was the girl who my parents were really hoping I'd end up with too!!! Needless to say, that asshole never said another word to me about my girlfriend.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    a New England congregation had to have a "local needs"
    talk on why brothers shouldn't be going to topless bars
    and strip shows

Interesting, metatron. Do you know which scripture texts were used? Or did they rely on the Law according to the brown bound volumes?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Anonymous

• Kristen
    Kristen

I remember one local needs part that focused on the evils of playing a certain video game (Mortal Combat). Seems that it was popular among some of the teenage boys in the congregation, and by the end of the talk it was clear that the game was *not* for Christians.

Kind of silly to use a talk from the platform to push a personal opinion like that. Not to mention how embarrassing it is to the people involved.

free to be me

• ItsJustMe
    ItsJustMe

The most uncomfortable: coed parties for kids under ten where they were "exploring" each other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit