Recs for a media PC?

by AK - Jeff 9 Replies latest social physical

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I am thinking of putting a PC on my entertainment center, with a wireless keyboard and mouse so that my flatscreen becomes another computer when I want to watch internet vids or use educational ppv for the grandkids.

I use a Belkin G router, and tested it today by moving my desktop [Compaq xp] over and hooking it up with a wireless adapter for a test. Worked great. Videos were fast and did not jerk, in fact perhaps better than when I was hooked to ethernet on my desk.

Someone at work suggested a 'media center' computer for this use. What would be the critical elements here? OS? RAM? Processor?

I get most my news from the internet and would like to continue that, with occasional movies from Fancast and just normal computer stuff otherwise. No games.

I am no geek, but can find my way around once I get pointed.

Jeff

• John Doe
    John Doe

Videos don't take much of a graphics processor, but if you want to do much in the way of games, you'll need a lot more power. Are you buying prebuilt or are you assembling a system yourself?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Prebuilt. I would love to build one someday, but have no idea where to start.

Jeff

• John Doe
    John Doe

It's not as difficult as you think. www.tigerdirect.com has some excellent tutorials on their website. It's simply a matter of choosing the components that are compatible with each other, have the specs you want, and then plugging them all together.

Prebuilts are quicker and easier, but not cheaper. I've had good luck with Dell products. For simply watching videos, virtually any computer marketed as a media addition pc will work fine, so long as it's not old technology. Lood for at least a dual core processor and a graphics card that is separate from the motherboard (not an integrated graphics processer). Dell has several models, and all of them are built to your specifications--you choose what components you want and they build it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx John.

I might look at the idea of building one. That would be fun and educational.

Should I wait until 7 is the standard OS? Or go with Vista perhaps?

Jeff

• John Doe
    John Doe

I never ran Vista, but I have used 7. From everything I hear, Vista is not worth messing with. 7 is supposed to be a lot better.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

That had been my uneducated opinion also.

Hey thanx man.

Jeff

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Don't install Vista if you're setting up a new system. Go to Windows 7. It is better in every way.

• BadBettie
    BadBettie

Tiger direct is awesome for building computers and if you chicken out they assemble it for you. It's often more cost effective than the other route.

Dell is not good. They also have a record of horrible customer service/tech support.

Edit: I love this website for everything: http://consumerist.com/tag/dell/ [its not just on dell, its set on that tag]

• tsar_robles
    tsar_robles

I think 'media center' PCs are a rip off. Dell has small desktops that are cheaper with decent specs. Whatever you get make sure it has a DVI-D and HDMI ports. Onboard wireless doesn't hurt.

If you are on a budget and dont care about resolution rates, etc then Dell's SX270 is decent. has DVI ports and the like and it's tiny. If you do end up buying something a little more expensive then just make sure that it has a decent video graphics card so that you can utilize your flat screen to its capacity. I personally use my SX270 ($100 on ebay) with a wireless kbd/mouse and play free megavideo movies on it. I dont see a reason to upgrade this PC as the megavideo/youtube videos.

hope this helps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit