A little happy news about my Mom

by finding my way 6 Replies latest jw friends

• finding my way
    finding my way

My Mom who has shunned me off and on for 4 years had decided about a month and a half ago to fully shun me. No responses to e-mails or anything. It's rough, but I've been dealing with it.

I know she loves me and thinks she's doing the right thing. So I decided yesterday to send her a silly e-mail with a picture of my brand new stretchmarks (I'm her only daughter and pregnant with her first grandchild) and thank her for her genes :0) I thought that I might at least try to keep her filled in with my life a little bit whether she's talking with me or not.

She responded with a joke back and filled me in with some of the latest news with her. I can only hope that she will loosen up more in time and that maybe she will begin to form some of her own doubts and realize that shunning me is wrong. Especially considering I'm living a "clean life" by their standards even. I'm not a greedy person, idolater, fornicator etc... She associates with co-workers and non-witness family members that fall under DFing criteria and I hope she realizes she's being unfair someday.. When I was a teen she had doubts (she was inactive for years). So I have a little hope and wanted to share it.

I am a bit worried though because she's been dating this brother she knew when I was little. He's several states away and she hasn't physically seen him in years. She's visiting him soon and has already decided to move there next year. Knowing the witness way, they will be married in no time. She married my step Dad when i was 6 (the same age as her son now) and it was a disaster!! Everyone was depressed and her mania was really bad. I'm worried she's making ths move because she has little excitement in her life and she's rushing into this. He has a 15 year old girl and I know how she can be with teenage girls..especially those that aren't her own not pretty..but it is her life and she's older now so I can only hope she's able to handle it better this time around. Also I think being married might make it harder for her to keep any communication with me..

Any advice of what to say and what to leave out when I do get to exchange thoughts with her would be great.

~fmy

• Newborn
    Newborn

I'm so happy for you...thanks for letting us know...hope it keeps getting better!

I'm waiting for my sister to give me some sign she knows I exists...I'm sending texts and e-mails regularly...she has never responded but I'll continue...

Good luck

Newborn

• yknot
    yknot

Grandchildren create soft spots for most grandparents........

Woo her with reports, updates and pictures.......invite her over often too.

Create a routine hard for her to break......

• finding my way
    finding my way

Keep it up Newborn. I guess you never know when something might change. Something changed in all of us..

I'd love to invite her over but I live in Hawaii and she lives in Kansas :0)

I think regular pics of the baby once she gets here will be good though. She's missing out and she knows it. I'm missing out though too.. I really miss my 6 year old brother. He's a sweetie!

• yknot
    yknot
    I live in Hawaii and she lives in Kansas

Video chat/conferencing......seriously!

My kiddos talk to their G-parents weekly this way...... and like you we have some distances with one G-Pa in Alaska, the other in California and a G-Ma who is constantly in Argentina!

Webcams came on our laptops/netbooks but can be purchased for as little as $25.

• finding my way
    finding my way

That's a great idea! I have a webcam, I just hardly use it. I think that's a wonderful way to introduce her to the baby.

~fmy

• the real life
    the real life

Good news! :) I say keep keeping her up to date on your life and maybe eventually your conversations will open up so that you can have a positive influence on her as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit