How's this for a disassociation letter?:

by SixofNine 5 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Six- Paul Haggis is the director of the movie Crash, among others; this letter was motivated by the church's action (and/or lack thereof) wrt California Proposition 8.

Paul Haggis belonged to the Church of Scientology for 35 years, so this very public break, written in a letter directerd at Scientology's current national spokesman, Tommy Davis, was published by ex-Scientologist Marty Rathbun. A snippet:

As you know, for ten months now I have been writing to ask you to make a public statement denouncing the actions of the Church of Scientology of San Diego. <...> I called and wrote and implored you, as the official spokesman of the church, to condemn their actions. I told you I could not, in good conscience, be a member of an organization where gay-bashing was tolerated.

In that first conversation, back at the end of October of last year, you told me you were horrified, that you would get to the bottom of it and "heads would roll." You promised action. Ten months passed. No action was forthcoming. The best you offered was a weak and carefully worded press release, which praised the church's human rights record and took no responsibility. Even that, you decided not to publish.

The church's refusal to denounce the actions of these bigots, hypocrites and homophobes is cowardly. I can think of no other word. Silence is consent, Tommy. I refuse to consent.

...The great majority of Scientologists I know are good people who are genuinely interested in improving conditions on this planet and helping others. I have to believe that if they knew what I now know, they too would be horrified. But I know how easy it was for me to defend our organization and dismiss our critics, without ever truly looking at what was being said; I did it for thirty-five years. And so, after writing this letter, I am fully aware that some of my friends may choose to no longer associate with me, or in some cases work with me. I will always take their calls, as I always took yours. However, I have finally come to the conclusion that I can no longer be a part of this group. Frankly, I had to look no further than your refusal to denounce the church's anti-gay stance, and the indefensible actions, and inactions, of those who condone this behavior within the organization. I am only ashamed that I waited this many months to act. I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Scientology.

http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/13762/oscarwinning-...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I commented on this letter on another thread.

I did not know Paul Haggis directed Crash, a great movie,

I think I like Paul very much.

He gives us all hope with this letter.

purps

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Everyone should resign from ignorance and corruption, many people get put into situations

through pressure from associations with people either through family or otherwise.

Its always important to reanalyze what we're dong to ourselves in a continuing basis.

Its never good to let corporate corruption take control of own social conscientiousness in personal guidance.

Scientology, JWS and the list goes on.....

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

Yes, but where else can he go? What other Church is preaching the life saving message that can help others rid themselves of body thetans? All other false Churches have been influenced by Lord Xenu the "ruler of the air and volcanoes".

Um... seriously, am I the only one that's disturbed by the fact that the reason for his departure was "merely" that there was some gay-bashing in their ranks? He apparently didn't renonunce the beliefs. I mean... shouldn't his letter have said something like, "I can't belong to an organization that bashes gays, AND WHOS STUPID ASS TEACHINGS CAME STRAIGHT OUT OF A CHEESY SCI-FI MOVIE SCRIPT."?????

I can respect him for having the courage to leave, but that respect is lost if he still buys into the core beliefs.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Actually, read this part of the letter. Sorry I cannot highlight.

To see you lie so easily, I am afraid I had to ask myself: what else are you lying about?

And that is when I read the recent articles in the St. Petersburg Times. They left me dumbstruck and horrified.

These were not the claims made by "outsiders" looking to dig up dirt against us. These accusations were made by top international executives who had devoted most of their lives to the church. Say what you will about them now, these were staunch defenders of the church, including Mike Rinder, the church's official spokesman for 20 years!

Tommy, if only a fraction of these accusations are true, we are talking about serious, indefensible human and civil rights violations. It is still hard for me to believe. But given how many former top-level executives have said these things are true, it is hard to believe it is all lies.

And when I pictured you assuring me that it is all lies, that this is nothing but an unfounded and vicious attack by a group of disgruntled employees, I am afraid that I saw the same face that looked in the camera and denied the policy of disconnection. I heard the same voice that professed outrage at our support of Proposition 8, who promised to correct it, and did nothing

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Eek!

Wish I could get my dad to read C of C - an insider's look at WTS. But of course the WTS is also really good at misdirection and martyrdom, and no good witness will ever pick it up.

Great letter...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit