NYC - Gramercy Park/East Side - area around Beth Israel Medical Center

by Alana 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Alana
    Alana

There is a slight chance that my husband may have the opportunity to go to NYC to complete a surgical residency at Beth Israel Medical Center (on 17th St., between 1st & 2nd Ave.). He is a podiatrist who orignally completed a shorter residency back after graduation, but now credentialing has changed and it would benefit him to be able to get into a surgical residency, hopefully as a 2nd yr resident. And he is working with several programs now in the application process.

My question is for you NYC folks is: in what kind of area is that hospital located? The program assists in getting housing arrangements and has some housing for their residents, but if my husband would be slipping in after the residency has started (filling in where someone left) I don't know if they would have housing or not. Is that an expensive area? -- What kind of area is that? Shoot...are any you all around that area?

There is nothing for sure yet, as he is also working on getting in at some places closer to home in IL or IN, but I am wanting to get educated on all the places in possible preparation.

~Alana

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Alana

Pracatically 99.9% of Manhattan rent is high, basically I would say more than 50-60% of NYC is probably more than what you're used to if you're not from a major city. Just saw an ad in the paper today for the "refurbished" Bethel factory, now they're trying to sell the co-ops that it's been converted to, that part of Brooklyn has become upscale within the last 10-15 years. Can he live in the outer boro's like Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx, although I think Staten Island would be too much of a commute for him. Transportation here is pretty good, so that shouldn't be a problem for him

• lrkr
    lrkr

I worked on a condo project right near there. This is a great area of town. Blocks away from Union Square. Great restaurants, young crowd, really great location. The park itself and the architecture around it has an old feel about it (I think it is a landmark area) and has been used in the filming of period movies. You wont find rent nearby for very cheap- but Peter Cooper village is nearby and is one of the last areas of middleclass rent levels. (The condos I worked on sold for $2-$5 M each.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit