Computer for outreach - need to be protected - Cyberdefender good?

by guyjeff4850 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• guyjeff4850
    guyjeff4850

So I was wondering, I use my computer for everything (I know, everyone does), but especially for a lot of graphics stuff and for youth outreach. I've noticed that my system has been running slow lately and it's been crashing a lot. I had Norton & AVG loaded on my system, so I never dreamed I would have a virus, but I did. I guess it turns out sometimes the free stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be.

My neighbor recommended Cyberdefender to clear up my system (great another free one), but I think he might be right, but I want to be sure. So with the free version it removes trojans and spyware, but if it finds a virus, you gottta buy the upgrade. When you buy the upgrade you get ID Theft protection and 24/7 computer support. So I'm thinking of going for it.

I've read they are a NASDAQ public company, but is it a good anti-virus program? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks for any input; it would truly be appreciated.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

I'm not familier with CyberDefender, personally, but had a couple questions you might not have thought about it.

Norton is not free. How old is the computer? Its possible your Norton is expired. Its usually pretty good and I've had no issues.

Are you installing/uninstalling a lot of programs? You may need to run a disk defragmentor, as that can cause some of the problems you're mentioning... Are you running Windows? That tends to cause those problems, too. You might also check your temporary files... In Windows they sometimes tend to not be as temporary as they should be, and causes a lot of slow downs.

• Opus92
    Opus92

I'm not a fan of CyberDefender, just because they charged a friend more than $200 to clean his computer and give him a year's subscription. The package does what it's supposed to, but it's a little too pricey for me.

If you are on a Windows machine: have you checked out Microsoft Security Essentials? It's free and seems to work pretty well.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

$200? Norton 360 is only $80....

• TD
    TD

What virus did you have? How did you detect it?

I'm not a big fan of AV software of any kind, but for customers, I recommend ESET, Sophos or Kaspersky in that order. Neither of the three are free (Or particularly cheap) but you get what you pay for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit