1 Thess 4:13 Changed NWT

by garlic81 4 Replies latest jw friends

• garlic81
    garlic81

1 Thess 4:13 was changed as well from "sleeping in death" to "falling asleep in death". So instead of just being ignorant and sorrowing about those who have already died, it could be of those who are close to dying as well. They themselves shouldn't be sorrowing excessively because they have a hope talked about in 14.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Now this is quite subtle. IMHO the changed version speaks more doctrine of soul sleep i.e that the dead are conscious of nothing at all.

There are not many supporters of this doctrine (save the WT) because the rest of the bible does not support it.

Anyhow, full marks to any bible that has the word asleep and not death in the translation, they can claim to be the "most accurate".

http://biblos.com/1_thessalonians/4-13.htm

Of course, what does it mean to be "asleep"? Certainly, asleep implies that everyone will wake up at some point Acts 24:15 Daniel 12:2

No doubt the loud trumpet blast will wake everyone 1 Corinthians 15:51-53 1 Thessalonians 4:16 Matthew 24:30-32 Revelation 11:15

All the best,

Stephen

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

That's rather strange because in v. 13 hoi koimômenoi (genitive tôn koimômenôn) is a present participle (those who are sleeping), different from the aorist which is already rendered as "those who have fallen asleep" in v.14 and 15 (also1 Corinthians 15:18, hoi koimèthentes) in the pre-2006 NWT. Maybe you misunderstood something.

• oompa
    oompa

The jw reasoning on this scripture, and perhaps the scripture itself is mind boggling to me.............jw's say the heavenly hope is a higher calling, a BETTER hope, a GREATER reward..........and that is what nearly every other religion believes happens to the good at death

so non-dubs should grieve less over their dead, esp since they believe that their loved ones go straight to heaven........no waiting in the ground, and go to a better place than paradise earth....................oompa

• Heaven
    Heaven

No doubt the loud trumpet blast will wake everyone 1 Corinthians 15:51-53 1 Thessalonians 4:16 Matthew 24:30-32 Revelation 11:15

Not sure about everyone. My ex fell asleep at a Pink Floyd concert.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit