idolatry

by paul from cleveland 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Is the attention directed toward the accomplishments of the Organization really a form of idolatry, as some contend, or is it simply following Jesus' admonition to "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven"?

• teel
    teel

I think Jesus spoke about letting your acts speak for themselves instead of praising yourself. I don't see the WT self praise as idolatry, rather vanity. I would be content if the WT would only present the facts in the magazines, letting people draw their conclusions, then I could be informed of the "light" that is on the other side of the world too - but this would mean a sincere unbiased presentation of facts, without drawing the conclusions right there in the article instead of letting me sum up the story. It would also mean not covering up their mistakes (see the UN deal) to make that light shinier than it is.

Consider this: how many times does someone in the Bible praise himself shamelessly? I thought of this passage, see Paul's words, he praises himself to show a point to his readers, but talks of that same boasting as 'foolishness' and that he's 'out of his mind':

What anyone else dares to boast about—I am speaking as a fool—I also dare to boast about. [...] Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. 2Cor 11:21-23 (NIV)
  • whatcanIsay
    whatcanIsay

Paul was a strange one! In my views he is not much of a good example but perhaps he was a little out of his mind.

As far as the WTBTS I would say that you are right! and it is a form of idolatry it part of self pride and neglecting the Father and the Son! Boasting of ones self is a form of idolatry! God does know peoples hearts!

I got sick and tired of watching the elders and their puffed up pride instead of boasting Jesus they boasted about themselves. It was the same in the WT!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are many forms of idolatry. However, the most blatant of these is when everything you do is what your idol tells you to. If you always do whatever the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger tells you to, without regard for whether or not the advice they give you is even sensible, you are worshiping them. They don't even let you question them--and, if you don't question them, you are worshiping them.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

From the same general context as "Let your light shine" (Sermon on the Mount):

Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven. So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
    And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
    (...)
    And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
    Without this dimension of secrecy people can't praise the Father (note that the Father-in-heaven is the Father-in-secret) without praising you -- actually they are much more likely to praise you than God.

The ultimate trick of hypocrisy (and idolatry perhaps) is making God's "name" your brand name.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

"The ultimate trick of hypocrisy (and idolatry perhaps) is making God's "name" your brand name"

I've never thought of it that way before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit