Who is babylon the great?

by 607BCisAbigLIE 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 607BCisAbigLIE
    607BCisAbigLIE

There is a site which anyone should visit it can be very interesting.
    In that site you'll find information on history related to the book of revelation. You'll notice that there is an interpretation that much suits to the people of the early Christian times, than to the people of our time. The logic is that when John wrote the Apocalypse book, it had to be understood by the people of his time, with terms and symbolics that the early Christians and others (like historians) would understand. So go see by yourself, give your impression, and I will comment on it too later.

http://folk.uio.no/otton/BabGreat.html

• 607BCisAbigLIE
    607BCisAbigLIE

"The seven heads are therefore oftentimes understood as seven emperors. One of these emperors is Nero (whose number is 666 [or, according to some manuscripts, 616])." (taken from http://folk.uio.no/otton/BabGreat.html)

The 616 seems to me to be an error in those manuscrit (although I obviously don't have them). See, maybe it was writen in Roman numbers. So the middle number is 1=X. But maybe the writer has made a mistake and we should have LX instead (it happens sometimes with manuscript).

But I can have it all wrong.

• Bang
    Bang

I will destroy the name of Babylon, and the remains, and the bud, and the offspring. [Is 14.22]

It has been said to be the name of ownership, the remains of it, the temptation to have things and the desire to possess. God does this for his disciples - a rich man shall hardly enter the kingdom. So the disciples may say happily with Peter - "behold we have left all things".

Bang

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

hmmmmm could it be all the religionists that keep preaching their fairy tales?

God's Kingdom is a government, NOT a religion.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Thanks 607,

That was a good read. Perhaps the Catholics were right, John was talking about Rome. lol.

cheers, unclebruce

===

ElijahIII,

God's Kingdom is a government, NOT a religion.
    And the earth is supported by an old Greek bloke standing on the back of a turtle .. or is it a tortoise?

unclebruce who can't find God's Kingdom in his Atlas.

• Carmel
    Carmel

The baby lion was MGM in its early years. What's the big deal?

eligah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit