God & Santa

by AwSnap 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Just like people choose to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, knowing they're not real but it's fun to believe, is there anything wrong with going to church and believing in the Christian god when deep down you know its not real either? That's where I'm at these days. How do you feel?

• cawshun
    cawshun

I'm kind of in the same place you are. When things get scarry for me, I still want to pray to Jesus. I still feel I have to ask for His forgivness when I feel I did wrong. Maybe it's just because all my life I was raised to believe that way. I like the Jesus of the NT. I'm not all that happy with God the Father in the OT. In the OT, he was a mean and vengeful god. No matter how it's explained, I can't accept the things he did.

• Gopher
    Gopher

What's the "fun" of going to church when you don't really buy what they're selling?

The gods of many religions make you walk a tightrope = i.e. "the narrow path to salvation". I don't want to hear somebody's version of what an unprovable, unseen being teaches as ultimate truth, and you had better listen or else. As for the "self help" part of churches, you can get most of that at the bookstore or library, or maybe in the Bible itself. Maybe you can't get a church's social atmosphere on your own, although there are probably other more fun clubs to join that aren't based on superstition.

OTOH, the advantage of enjoying Santa and the Easter Bunny is -- they don't threaten you with eternal punishment for any reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit