Changed my avatar-And how did the Romans Execute You?

by fulltimestudent 5 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Been meaning to do that for a while - and just saw an article in BAR (see below) and thought - that's how I feel today (grin) I've had the flu for 2 weeks and feel really pissed off.

Sunday before last, my friend visiting from China, calls up and says come to dinner tonite, meet me at Darling Harbour. So did that, and even though we could've walked to the restaurant he'd selected in about 15 minutes, he decides (he's rather wealthy) we should take a water taxi to Circular Quay (for those who know Sydney). I protested, as I knew it was expensive - $70 for a 10 minute ride.We're no sooner in the boat, than it starts to rain like hell, and before the boatmaster could get the curtains down, I was soaked on one side. Light clothing so was dry in one hour. Naturally, the high class restaurant was aircon, so by next day I knew I was going to have at least a cold.

Hence my feeling for the avatar.

OK! the article. Its not exactly new info, but its hard data on what appears to have been the style of execution of a young man by the Romans. Here's a part of the article from the Biblical Archeology Review:

Roman Crucifixion Methods Reveal the History of Crucifixion
    Crucifixion in Antiquity
    Biblical Archaeology Society Staff 07/17/2011
    What do we know about the history of crucifixion? In the following article, “New Analysis of the Crucified Man,” Hershel Shanks looks at evidence of Roman crucifixion methods as analyzed from the remains found in Jerusalem of a young man crucified in the first century A.D. The remains included a heel bone pierced by a large nail, giving archaeologists, osteologists and anthropologists evidence of crucifixion in antiquity.

Crucifixion in antiquity was a gruesome execution, not really understood until a skeletal discovery in the 1980s that gave new insight into the history of crucifixion. Photo: Courtesy Israel Exploration Journal, Vol. 35, No. 1 (1985)
    What do these bones tell us about the history of crucifixion? The excavator of the crucified man, Vassilios Tzaferis, followed the analysis of Nico Haas of Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School in Jerusalem suggesting Roman crucifixion methods: a contorted position: arms nailed to the crossbeam; legs bent, twisted to one side, and held in place by a single nail that passed through a wooden plaque, through both left and right heel bones, and then into the upright of the cross.
    However, when Joseph Zias and Eliezer Sekeles reexamined the remains, looking for evidence of Roman crucifixion methods, they found no evidence that nails had penetrated the victim’s arms; moreover, the nail in the foot was not long enough to have penetrated the plaque, both feet, and the cross. And, indeed, what were previously thought to be fragments of two heel bones through which the nail passed were shown to be fragments of only one heel bone and a long bone. On the basis of this evidence, Zias and Sekeles suggest that the man’s legs straddled the cross and that his arms were tied to the crossbeam with ropes, signifying the method of crucifixion in antiquity.
    Literary sources giving insight into the history of crucifixion indicate that Roman crucifixion methods had the condemned person carry to the execution site only the crossbar. Wood was scarce and the vertical pole was kept stationary and used repeatedly. Below, in “New Analysis of the Crucified Man,” Hershel Shanks concludes that crucifixion in antiquity involved death by asphyxiation, not death by nail piercing.

There's more, and it can be accessed at: http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/crucifixion/roman-crucifixion-methods-reveal-the-history-of-crucifixion/?mqsc=E3792438&utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=BHD+Daily%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=E5B326

You'll note that the author considers that the victim only had to carry the crossbar, and that therefore it was a cross-shaped instrument. So Freddy F was wrong on his insistence on a simple pole. The churches are likely wrong on what Jesus could have been carrying.

And finally, who says that the Romans were always consistent in their method of execution? And did it really matter?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I haven't had time to read it all but this thread has some good information.
  • Earnest
    Earnest

In 2018 English archaeologists unearthed a skeleton at a Roman settlement in Fenstanton, almost 1,900 years old, with a nail through the heel bone, suggesting the man was crucified.

There is a report by Albion Archaeology, who carried out the archaeology, and a detailed report can be read here. It says, in part :

While this cannot be taken as incontrovertible proof that the man was crucified, it seems the only plausible explanation – making it at most the fourth example ever recorded worldwide through archaeological evidence. Crucifixion was relatively commonplace in Roman times, but the victims were often tied to the cross rather than nailed, and if nails were used then it was routine to remove them afterwards. Only one other example has been found with a nail surviving in situ through the bone, discovered at Giv‘at ha-Mivtar in north Jerusalem during building work in 1968; skeletons with a similar hole have also been found at Gavello in Italy and at Mendes in Egypt, but without a nail in place and with doubt over how the holes had been formed.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I haven't been able to change my avatar for several years. The email showing on my profile is no longer valid. I PM'd Simon to change it, but he has not responded at all. Maybe I should just rejoin under a different name.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The more I hear about crucifixion the less I like it. 😮

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The Wikipedia article on the matter has a lot of source material you can find out more about It. Suffice to say that it is likely Jesus died with his arms outstretched (IF he existed in the first place) or at least the story would be told like that due to the symbolism.

It seems the practice evolved over time and also based on what was expedient and available.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit