The "Happy" God Or The "Blessed" God?

by snowbird 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

1 Timothy chapter 1:11 and chapter 6:15, 16.

I prefer blessed. It seems to impart more dignity.

Sylvia

• the research lady
    the research lady

Sylvia, you are correct. Although the Greek word can be translated "happy" it is better to say "blessed". In the New World Translation the word "happy" is also used in Math. 5 where it also should be translated as "blessed". One can be "happy eating a big mac but, they are not "blessed". Just another example of the twisted reasoning of those men who wrote the NWT.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Regardless of what the translations state, "blessed" is more accurate. Jehovah is blessed with the ability to ruin everyone else's lives, and still be happy watching the show. And there isn't a damn thing anyone can do that would effectively retaliate against Him.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The meaning and function of makarios were discussed not long ago: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/181630/2/Symbolisms-in-Revelation

This is much less of an issue in French btw., since the traditional/formal translation (bienheureux) equivalent to the English "blessed" carries the meaning "happy" (heureux).

In the usual English rendering, the reader cannot know if the "blessed God" is actually blessed (eulogètos, Luke 1:68 etc.) or pronounced 'happy, fortunate etc.' (makarios, 1 Timothy 1:11). But since the function is approximately the same this is no big deal.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    One can be "happy eating a big mac but, they are not "blessed". Just another example of the twisted reasoning of those men who wrote the NWT.

Research Lady, thanks for fleshing out my thoughts. It's as though the translators somehow wanted to demean or humanize God!

Regardless of what the translations state, "blessed" is more accurate. Jehovah is blessed with the ability to ruin everyone else's lives, and still be happy watching the show. And there isn't a damn thing anyone can do that would effectively retaliate against Him.

WI - ZARD!!! What are we to do with you?

I still love you, though.

Narkissos, I've been thinking about makarios since your exposition on my first thread. When I do get off my unmotivated derriere and enroll in college, Greek is going to be one of my first classes!

Thanks, all.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit