A song that inspires me

by sd-7 8 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

It's from my favorite band, The Protomen. It's called "Keep Quiet", I think, from their new album, Act II: The Father of Death. Yes, shameless advertising. Hey, if the WT can do it...

Anyway, it just reminded me of the struggle for freedom of mind, freedom from indoctrination:

I've seen your face in the shadows
    I've seen your face in the places
    I wasn't meant to be
    I hear them whisper about you
    I hear the men in the bars
    I see the women lock their doors at night
    Lock your doors tonight
    They say your eyes are on fire
    They say you'll kill a man
    For walking the wrong side of the line
    But men, they say a lot of foolish things
    In the end the only words I can find to believe in are mine

They say
    This city
    She's been dead for years now
    For years now
    So death is
    Not something
    Not something that scares me
    There's worse things
    Than death here
    They tell me
    Keep quiet

I will not be told where to stand
    I will not be told what to say
    Not by man or machine
    Not by you, not by anyone tonight
    Gonna have to do better than fear
    Gonna have to step out of the shadows and fight
    And when they see your face again
    They will know what it means to have fear
    Dragged out into the night
    Drag it out!

They say
    This city
    She's been dead for years now
    For years now
    So death is
    Not something
    Not something that scares me
    There's worse things
    Than death here
    They tell me

It's just...I wish I had more courage. It took so much out of me, all the research and effort trying to figure out what was really going on with the religion I'd trusted all my life. I went back to a meeting, not in my home cong., on Sunday. My beloved still believes in them. I try to hold onto my mind, but it's so hard sometimes. I'm afraid that she will choose the Borg over me. She thinks I don't care about the bad things we've done together. I do care. It's just...I don't see why we have to live in guilt and shame over things that aren't anyone's business anyway. The kind of guilt that the elders inflict is not the kind that helps people truly repent. In the end, punishment is all that really matters to them. How much actual time do they spend (feel like I'm quoting Ray Franz) trying to help restore someone's spirituality? Not much. The hearing is just to punish, then to tell the person to come to meetings for a year while being ignored, then write THEM a letter asking for reinstatement.

That's the part that really pisses me off, and normally I'd never write that kind of thing. But if I get DF'd it'll be a cold day in hell before I write them a letter asking THEM to let me back into a frakkin' cult. And how the heck does have a [blank] thing to do with your sins being forgiven? Did the guy in 2 Corinthians write a letter to the elders? NO! Is this another Legal Department thing? Probably.

I'll go back to the place for my beloved, and continue to look for ways to prove she's under mind control, someday. But I'm not going to ask them to be reinstated if they DF me. THEY will have to ask ME, if anything. If I repent of my sins, then God forgives me through Christ--that's how it works. My sins aren't in retention until I write a g[blank-blank] letter to some [blank-blank] men who will not and cannot stand before the judgment throne on my behalf.

I'm going back to my home meeting tonight. For a woman. And gosh, she's wonderful, but she really is awfully serious sometimes. I thought I took life too seriously. I didn't know the half!

Well...I'm feelin' a bit down. There are days I wonder if I love her more than I love freedom. But every day so far, the answer has been yes, without a shadow of a doubt. It's tough, staying with this crap and still wondering if somehow I'm wrong about 587 B.C. or the bizarre teachings back in the 1870s-1930s, etc. (I read part of The Harp of God on my Kindle not that long ago. Good Grievous! What kind of nutcase was Rutherford? This really is a cult if people accepted that crap!)

Well...I better get moving. Gotta keep my job--it's the last good, normal thing I have left.

SD-7

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Dear heart, you already know my thinking on your situation. You must make a stand for yourself before you can make anyone else, including your beloved, happy.

Ask her if she really wants to be a jw since she refuses to turn herself in for the "bad" things she's been doing.

• Out at Last!
  • Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Bad things? I can only assume you are referring to the natural attraction to the opposite sex that god instilled in not just man, but every living thing. These "bad" things are important to developing your humanity and is used against you to guilt and frustrate you, and look to the WBTS for forgiveness from natural attractions. These "bad"things are actually wonderful things when you take off your watchtower glasses off and see how things really are.

It is good that you are trying to get your girl out, but at some point you will not be able to keep going to the meetings and keep your sanity. At least I couldn't.

I wish the best for you.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I couldn't agree ith you more, OutatLast! SD-7, what do you think?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I couldn't agree with you more, OutatLast! SD-7, what do you think?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I couldn't agree with you more, OutatLast! SD-7, what do you think?

• Heaven
    Heaven

There are days I wonder if I love her more than I love freedom. But every day so far, the answer has been yes, without a shadow of a doubt.

The world needs more like you sd-7. Your special lady is indeed lucky to have someone who cares this much for her. I am sorry you are feeling down. This happens when one is involved with those who are truly unprincipled. I wish for you much success in showing your love the issues with the WTS/JWs but, as you know, it may take some time. Try to include uplifting things in your life to counter the negativity of the cult. Remember, for every 1 negative thought, you need 12 positive ones to counter the effects of the negative connection your brain has made. Try to incorporate things that give you joy everyday in your life. I think your lady needs this too (as do all JWs).

Here are a couple of Tonic tunes that 'inspire' me:

"Open Up Your Eyes" - Tonic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJxUdHmjs_U

"Soldier's Daughter" - Tonic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B3ry64-Ezc

• sd-7
    sd-7

jamie, OutAtLast, I suppose you're right. I still struggle with so much guilt. I need to post another entry soon.

Thank you both.

SD-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit