Bethelites and Athletes - are they the same?

by babygirl30 8 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

Forgive me if I sound completely cynical - but I have always wondered WHAT the big deal with was brothers who are living at Bethel! I have known sisters that would give their right arm to be around them, snag one, and/or be able to say she is 'dating' a Bethelite - as IF that's the greatest thing in the world. JW's from all over the world come to 'visit' them and they receive clothing, trips, food, boarding - all for FREE! JWs will bend over backwards over a Bethelite, and it's soooooo special when 1 of them comes to visit their Khall or give a public talk (wait...I stand corrected....a SPECIAL talk they are called cause Bethelites are SPECIAL speakers)!!

When u add it all up - Bethelites are the equiavlent of Athletes! People bend over backwards for athletes, they get whatever they want, things are practically HANDED to them, wherever they go - people make a fuss over them. Women WILL give just about anything to be seen with/date/sleep with/or get knocked up BY 1, and people pay ridiculous amounts of money to go visit their stadiums all to watch them in action.

Am I wrong???? Bethelites are so highly regarded....and I just never got why. My mom would tell me "Maybe u will meet a Bethelite someday?" And the older I got, i was able to respond "WHY - they are 'bred' to be TAKERS and to expect everything to be given TO them. What do I want with some broke brother like that????" - hahahahaha (no offense to any ex-Bethelites, I'm just using my cousin and his buddies as an example - they were THE biggest users from Bethel I've ever met.)

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

An astute comparison, babygirl. I used to think bethelites must be the most amazingly spiritual men in the world. Of course, I didn't know any. It's been a very eye opening experience to come here and read some of the life stories on freeminds and see what really goes on.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Hmmm, I was a N.American champ in ful contact karate, champ in Judo and boxing, never had anyone bend over backwards for me....:(

Well, except that russian stripper :)

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

The reason that those from Bethel are so looked up to is their self-sacrifice and their closeness to the center of the WTS.

Yet they are no different than the rank and file jw. Some are super individuals, while others are awful.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I have met some very nice and simple bros/sis at Bethel....and have had plenty of friends be a part of that. As I said, my cousin was there and so I would go up regularly (or he would visit me) and hang out with he and his buddies. But to be honest, they ALL were the 'cheapest' BUMS I've ever met. They had this aire of entitlement - and when i would say 'no' or make some comment about their neediness, Iwould get the typical "now you KNOW we don't have much, but we sacrifice our time for Jehovah" speech!! None of them had any real 'job' skills, were socially inept, and although some were pretty 'cute' in my eyes - I didn't deem them 'marriage material'. What do I want with some guy that has been secluded from the real world and had things handed to him?? UGH! No thank you. But some of my gf's at the time would always offer to accompany me to Bethel (or when my cousin came around my place) so they could hang out with he and his boys...trying to hook up with these Bethel bros. What for??? HAHAHAHA! Maybe i'm a bit too worldly in the mind, but I just don't see the draw to a Bethelite.

.....now athletes are a different story!!! Those I do like.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Society likes to create elites. Why? I have no freaking idea.

• Scott77
    Scott77

'What do I want with some guy that has been secluded from the real world and had things handed to him?? UGH! No thank you.

babygirl30

I enjoyed reading the way you discribed above Please, notice that there are other Bethelite- related threads on this site that also discuss this kind of stuff. I believe, yours is a great addition and its quiet riveting.

• Scott77
    Scott77

daniel-p

Hi Dan,

If Iam correct, you was a former Bethelite. Therefore, your statement I believe carries more weight since you lived that kind of experiences. That is so wonderful and a blessing for us here on JWN to talk stuff involving so many ex jws from different station of WTS lives they lead before.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Of course, when we're talking the WT Society... they generally only like to create elites who are men.

(Except pioneers. Women can be elite too if the're spreading the bullshit at over 50 hours/month. But... like... wear a head covering over that long ungodly hair, bitch.)

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit