Colossians CH 1 & 2

by PSacramento 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Written in probably between 50-80 AD by the Apostle Paul or perhaps more correctly DICTATED by Paul and quite possibly, expanded on by his followers, Colossians gives us many interesting verses:

1:13-23

States that Jesus is the first born over all creation, all things in heaven, earth and under the earth were created through him, by him and for him.

That the fullness of God dwelt in Jesus and that Jesus reconciled all unto Him by his death on the cross.

and that God has reconciled us in Christ, holy, blemish free, free of accusation, as long as we continue in our faith.

In the second chapter the writer states that in Jesus all the fullness of THE deity ( God) LIVES in bodily form and that WE have been given fullness in Christ who is ( present tense) head and authority over all.

Now we come to a very interesting part in Colossians:

2: 16-23

Where the writer now states that NO ONE should judge by what one eats or drinks, or in regards to religious festivals, new moons, sabbaths, that no one desqualifies us from the prize because they worship angels and have false humility. Those people have loss connection with the head ( Christ).

Rules such as "do not eat, do not handle, do not touch" are based on human commands and teachings , that these things give the appeareance of wisdom, false humility and harsk treatment of the body.

These 2 chapters give us a interesting read into Christian life and the views of the 1st century and 1st and 2nd generation Christians.

An interesting contrast to WT teachings.

• marcopolo
    marcopolo

SO, the WTS. haven't establish rules. on birthday parties or other folk festivals and cultural events. notbody have judge.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

In regards to BDays and special occasions, Paul make it clear here, as he does in Romans, that it si no one place to judge how we keep special days and what days we keep, some may view a day like any other and others may view it as special.

The issue is the intent, even a 100% pagan day like Halloween can be marked ( one doesn't really celebrate halloween, I mean, what are you celebrating??) because ones intent is NOT to worship a pagan diety or sacrafice a virgin ( ah the fond memories) nor is it to do anything against God but simple to enjoy the silliness of dressing up and having fun.

Certainly if someome uses a day to commit offense to God then they are there problem and they will answer for it, but we need to remember that Jews marked many days not in the bible such as Hanukah and that many pagan festivals became "christianized" in an effort to win over converts which, to us, may seem strange but it was common practice in those days.

• whatcanIsay
    whatcanIsay

Colossians 2

For I would have you know how greatly I strive for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;
    that their hearts may be comforted, they being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, that they may know the mystery of God, even Christ,
    in whom are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge hidden.
    This I say, that no one may delude you with persuasiveness of speech.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day:
    which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ’s.
    Let no man rob you of your prize by a voluntary humility and worshipping of the angels, dwelling in the things which he hath seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
    and not holding fast the Head, from whom all the body, being supplied and knit together through the joints and bands, increasing with the increase of God.
    If ye died with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, do ye subject yourselves to ordinances,
    Handle not, nor taste, nor touch
    (all which things are to perish with the using), after the precepts and doctrines of men?
    Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will-worship, and humility, and severity to the body; but are not of any value against the indulgence of the flesh.

Revelation 3

And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God:
    I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
    So because thou art lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spew thee out of my mouth.
    Because thou sayest, I am rich, and have gotten riches, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art the wretched one and miserable and poor and blind and naked:
    I counsel thee to buy of me gold refined by fire, that thou mayest become rich; and white garments, that thou mayest clothe thyself, and that the shame of thy nakedness be not made manifest; and eyesalve to anoint thine eyes, that thou mayest see.
    As many as I love, I reprove and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
    Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

I think it makes it clear that Paul is stating, "Let NO MAN rob you of your prize.."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit