District Convention's - Control Freaks

by xelder 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• xelder
    xelder

Since for many years I served at many levels of Convention Administration for 5000-6000 attendance (small conventions), I think back and shake my head at the control freak policies. Do any of you remember? When I used to attend 8 day conventions, (3 sessions a day 9:00-12:00 1:30-4:30 6:00-9:00) departments were huge to organize. So following is the SIMPLIFIED version after conventions were reduced to finally 3 days

Food service - Remember islandizing? You had to stack everything on the serving counter EXACTLY like the diagram. And the bethel representative's were there to check you out. If your 15 year old wanted to help - NO WAY - 16 and up only!!

Rooming - Years ago, we actually used to go door to door and ask for rooms from the public. We would offer 2.00 a day. We used hotels mostly so they finally gave that up. Nowadays, -What a joke. The approved list, was 2 nice hotels and then a declining list of flea and roach traps. If your service meeting schedule is early in the week in January, you "supposedly" get to call first to book a room. - Ha ha ha - all gone JW's don't follow the rules, Hotels don't follow the arrangements, rooming overseers agree to supervise this circus because it gets them on THE CONVENTION COMMITTEE - and a platform part guaranteed. Motels comp about 1 room in 10 for groups, (the bus driver gets a free room) The society gets comp rooms too and make them available to CO, DO, Bethel heavies, and occasionally to a rank-n-file (FOR A "DONATION" - don't dare forget to donate- they will call you in to remind you- seriously) The worst part was JW's with special handicaps that needed special rooms and were willing to pay for them. They have to go through the rooming department brothers to make the special arrangements. Can you imagine year after year trusting some brother who doesn't know your condition to book the right room? People were much better at making there own arrangements.

Accounting - last time I ran this department it took 280 volunteers. This is to ensure ample personally supervised collection boxes, security, counters, the bookkeeper, etc. Why don't they just send a letter with a suggested per publisher $$ to each congregation 1-2 months before the convention (like they do for CO cars and insurance) At a circuit assembly, administration knows all income, expense, and donations. Not so at the big DC. The accounting department collects money, counts it ,drops it in WBTS bank account, done - no checks to write, no reports. Only Brooklyn knows the operation gain after expenses. Direct negotiations for all conventions in that city for the summer go through one brother. Many times a city donates the facility for free to attract all these out-of-towners. Rock bands use the facility, the crowd trashes it, and the band takes the ticket sale revenue from the local citizens and leaves town. JW's come from out of town and spend money in the city, so the city likes that of-course.

Attendants - Recruit 250 - 300 appointed brothers. Control thousands at the opening stampede. People line up hours before to run to the best seats. Caring for the elderly and handicapped was a huge (and important)issue. Policing the hallways for worldly stalkers hitting on young sisters. Helping control the rush for new releases after sessions were over. Big JOB

Convention field service. Let's go out in a strange town in 105 degree heat, with our little kids, get lost, knock on doors to inform householders how grand it is for them that we are having a convention in their town. Who's great idea was this?

Administration Committee members can ask for some re-imbursement from the society for postage-phone-etc. Most don't. However, the Bethel Convention department told us once that they received requests for phone reimbursements from one committee when 'they all lived within 45 minutes of each other and could have just had another meeting'. That's when I really understood how out of touch these people are. Elders need more meetings. Put down the phone, tell the family good-bye again, drive 45 minutes spending gas money, to save a phone call???? Then he said 'even though some of you don't turn in your expenses, are you really showing respect for Jehovah's dedicated funds?'

Ok - thats a few of mine - who else?

• xelder
    xelder

Put Conventions on a DVD - I'll tell them I watched it

I'll even send 5 bucks so I don't have to go to the spiritual feast

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would rather take in the apostate version. That always seems to come out near the end of May, there is no rooming hassles, and I get better information without having to waste the whole weekend on it. Nor do I get to just meet other men (or get dragged back to the boasting sessions, or donate to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund).

• stillin
    stillin

the pre-assembly work was always a good time for r&f to rub shoulders with CO's, DO's and others from the outback. Work was good, for the Lord, for your brothers. Now you have to "qualify." And be "exemplary" in every way.

I really don't understand how this organization keeps afloat. What kind of robots can stomach the sucking up that is required to be of any use at all to "Jehovah?"

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

I don't really remember any eight day conventions, but I do remember sometime in the 60s attending what I recall being a six day assembly. Otherwise all the DAs I attended were either three and a half days, [beginning Thursday afternoon, till Sunday night] or four days, if they were International conventions.

[What happened to them anyway? Do they still have them? With Watchtower flunkies jetting around the world on discount air flight tickets]

It wasn't just the work during the blasted things, it was all the preparatory work that went into making all the parts function smoothly.

I must have been nuts.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

here's my experience from a district convention 7 years ago....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/39248/1/WTS-Secret-Police

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

So many convention rules.As if the rank and file are children or something.

Bangalore

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Pleasuredomes experience reminds me of when i was a store security guard...

Our job on the floor was to radio in to the control room anyone that looked suspicious. People who wore out of the ordinary clothes or hairstyles were an immediate suspect (which was funny coz off duty i knew i must be getting spied on in that case), and the security cameras in little bubbles would follow these people around the store while radioing back to us to move closer, further away or approach them etc.

So it wouls appear that the conventions do the same thing!

and like security control rooms, you can bet those camera's and binoculars are also checking out the chicks...

Oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit