"Losing My Religion" beginning preproduction (again!)

by Ayer 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Ayer
    Ayer

My name is Stephan McGuire and I am writing you all also in behalf of my good friends Raven and Mike Pence. We have formed a core team to begin preproduction on a documentary called "Losing My Religion". During the past few years, since creating a concept for this film, http://www.hungrycreature.com/lmr.html I have had the privilege of becoming a real filmmaker!

Recently I was one of the Producers of the documentary The 11th Hour, narrated and produced by Leonardo DiCaprio, a film I worked with him and an amazing group of people for nearly 3 years. I also became the Founder and President of CSAfrica, an international coalition of nonprofit organizations offering sustainable solutions for grass-roots initiatives to empower the people and communities of Africa. My love for Africa has brought me here to Namibia, Africa, from where I am writing now, for most of 2009, to direct my first film! Now I feel VERY ready and qualified to direct "Losing My Religion" when returning back to the States in November; with such experience under the belt, and with a fantastic team now forming, we are ready to go!

I think everyone on this forum will agree: An intelligent study is needed on the effects of extreme fundamentalism in the world today. Bill Maher's fun film Irreligious and Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady's Jesus Camp certainly opened up a great cinematic dialogues, and the Losing My Religion Team is ready to push the boundaries even further.

This film will appeal to XJWs, those who know XJWS, and basically a very wide audience for this reason: There are currently hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions of ex-Jehovah's Witnesses around the world who struggle with adjustment to their new lives. But there are also billions of other people find their life purpose's and identities almost solely through their religions, political persuasions, marriages and/or other relationships, their corporate careers, nationalism, the military, etc. Upon close examination, most of us are willing to throw out our own personal reasoning capabilities and deny our own personal experiences to be relieved of the oppressive burden of figuring out life ourselves. Why? What is going on? Why are we afraid to think for ourselves and really be ourselves?

Losing My Religion, a documentary film for theatrical distribution, will be a soul-searching, interview-style film documenting the experiences and exoduses of Jehovah's Witnesses, (and others who leave their sects), as they leave behind family, friends, that acquired interpretation of "God" that we all are too familiar with, and that very unique 'fundamentalist reality' we lived in. Our stories will be the focal point, however, but we also will be including the experiences of people who are leaving other cults as well, to draw comparisons. We also will be reaching out to Psychologists, Researchers, and other experts to give a fully told story. All in all, we are aiming for a VERY comprehensive film.

Right now, we are looking for Producers (those that can bring in funding), as well as an excellent Editor who can be PASSIONATE about this project and can get behind our mission!

Please respond as soon as possible by emailing: [email protected] if you feel like participating in any way. As well, if you know anyone who may be interested in this project, please let them know about us! WE want to share with the world our unique stories, to help those that are suffering in their transition into the "big, bad world" and offer support. We look forward to your support.

All The Best
    Stephan
    http://treemedia.com/treemedia.com/Stephan.html

• bubble
    bubble

Welcome to the board Stephan. Sounds very interesting, and like something I'd like to see when it's finished. Keep us all updated. X

• bubble
    bubble

Actually I have a quick question for you, what is your viewpoint? Are you an exjw too?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Right now, we are looking for Producers (those that can bring in funding)

Asking for funding from disaffected members of any high control group gives the members of the group an instant excuse to attack your character, motives and independence. I am surprised that you didn't know this from your research.

I wish you luck.

Cheers

Chris.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, makes ya wonder if it's really mainly going to be about xjws, or if that is part of the fund raising pitch. And, is he also cruising other x religious sites w a similar pitch, but slanted to their flavor of xreligion

S.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Yeh Blacksheep & Satanus I smell a rat

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Well, I don't know guys...did you check out his link?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

If this is genuine then it sounds brilliant Stephan.

There was an excellent documentary series recently on the History Channel about the Mormons. It portrayed the history of the Mormons and contemporary issues they are facing in a very balanced and captivating way. Many current and prominent ex-Mormons were interviewed, including interviews of some of the highest ranking Mormons. It was very fair in its approach but did not shy away from covering the scandals and contentious issues surrounding the Mormons. I thought the series was a model for television documentary on religious organisations and if your movie is anything like it, it will be outstanding.

Best of luck with funding and please keep us updated.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

bttt

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

UPDATE -

Stephan is still actively seeking contributions and his crack team of unproductive producers and other groupie associates is finding new ways to spend the collected money (more than $30K) without producing a shred of tangible product. The film is not in production, the charity is not formed and operating, the website is not up and running.

The Facebook site is a major accomplishment, and we all know how difficult and expensive it is to set up a FaceBook account.

If a simple search is performed, one will find threads related to the "Losing My Religion" film project dating back NINE YEARS at least.

If you've got money to burn, they will gladly help you do so, and you'll be storing up treasures in heaven, where all that money-smoke has gone.

The land of Jehovah's Witnesses is filled to overflowing with Ruther-frauds of all shapes and sizes. The biggest, of course, is the WTB&TS itself. There are plenty of other mini- and micro- frauds too. If someone REALLY has a project, it gets DONE without asking for money from the rest of the XJW community, usually. Barbara Anderson and Richard Rawe are excellent examples of individuals who know how to get things done. There is no shortage of individuals who talk about "what they could do" if only they had some of YOUR money. Don't fall for it. Don't give money to grifters who want you to fund their pilgrimage to the next Brooklyn protest.

If you find yourself compelled to give some of your retirement fund to someone else, find a good legitimate charity like the AMERICAN RED CROSS.

"By their FRUITS you will know them."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit