Learn From A Great Teacher (repost)

by garyneal 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• garyneal
    garyneal

Sorry for repeating myself but it appears that I placed this topic in the wrong category. Since I cannot seem to edit it or change it's category, I figured I'd repost it here where it may be more appropriate.

The Watchtower publishes a book for parents to read to their children called "Learn From a Great Teacher." My wife has had copies of this book for years and has read them to my little girl in the past. Is there anything in this book that I should be concerned about? When I look at what some former Jehovah's Witnesses have been taught during their childhood, they claim that the stories sometimes depict events in Armaggedon and show individuals being destroyed by Jehovah. Claiming that only faithful Jehovah's Witnesses survive it. Does this book teach that or does this book teach the plain and simple teachings of Christ.

I've read some of it, but not too much of it. My main concern is that my child will end up growing up with some of the same phobias that my wife had when I met her. My wife has anxiety attacks when she is in a large crowd, her sister is somewhat bipolar and has suffered bouts of depression. My wife has this belief for a while that God is just looking to destroy you the first time you do something wrong. Both my wife and her sister are on medication.

I'm not saying this to make them look bad for on balance they lead very decent lives. However, from what I've read Dr. Bergman say about Jehovah's Witnesses in general and their higher rates of mental illnesses and witnessing personally what my wife and her sister have had to go through, I begin to wonder if there is a connection. They were raised as JW's and with their mother being so devout, I'm sure they were read every piece of Watchtower literature ever published for children.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Garyneal:

Does this book teach that or does this book teach the plain and simple teachings of Christ.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You can download it to check!

2003 Learn From The Great Teacher--PDF!

Click the link at the bottom of the next page.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dne1sb Cheers! Atlantis!
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I loved the old book by the same name. The pink one. I really loved that book as a small child. My father would read to me from it. I can still smell the musty old pages of the one copy I had left before I destroyed it.

BTS

• chicken little
    chicken little

The old pink book was harmless (more or less). The new book is very harmful. There are pictures in there that would really scare a child. The armageddon illustrations are awful. I made up my mind when that book came out that I would not read it to my little boy. I was mentally on my way out of the witnesses at that time. There is also a very spooky rag doll in a few of the illustrations...that freaked me out too.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Oh good grief, did you know that independent sellers offer this used on Amazon? Who knew... they have several WT books available! Check out the reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Great-Teacher-Editor/dp/B000BN8IY6

By the way, the old pink hardcover was entitled "Listening to the Great Teacher".

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Learn From The Great Teacher p 242

We want to be among those whom God will keep alive, don’t we?— Wouldn’t it be wonderful if our family could be like Noah’s so that God would save all of us?— If we are to survive the end of the world, we need to understand how God will destroy it and bring about his righteous new world. Let’s see how he does this.

Page 156

Many people know that Christmas is not the birthday of Jesus. They even know that on that day pagans had a celebration that was not pleasing to God. But many celebrate Christmas anyway. They are more concerned with having a party than with finding out what God really thinks about it. But we want to please Jehovah, don’t we?—

Page 249

Do you see the point Jesus was making by talking about not waiting until wintertime to flee?— He was telling us that since we know that Armageddon is near, we do not want to delay in taking action to prove we love God by serving him. If we delay, it may be too late for us. So we would be just like those at the time of the great Flood who heard Noah but did not get inside the ark.

Next, let’s talk about what it will be like when the great war of Armageddon is over. We will learn what God has in store for all of us who love and serve him now.

The following are other scriptures showing that Armageddon is near: 2 Timothy 3:1-5 and 2 Peter 3:3, 4.

I do not pretend to to know the age group that this is aimed at..It is certainly a higher age range than the old "Great Teacher Book" that seemed to be for the under 5's .. I only know that I would not want a kid of mine being taught this stuff...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Blues Brother, your post would be an AWESOME review for this book on Amazon. Let unsuspecting people know what a fear-mongering piece of propaganda it is.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Blue's Brothers:

Yes, that was exactly the kind of content I was concerned about. I still believe that content like this is what has my wife so spooked about celebrating Holidays, going to other churches, and other things that I do not give much thought to.

I do remember my wife reading her this book one night and she was on the topic of armeggedon. My daughter asked a lot of questions and even my wife began to realize that maybe she should not be reading this to her.

Personally, I am very concerned that their narrow propaganda will cause my daughter to have unnecessary phobias. Those comments should go on the Amazon.com website. The public needs to know. Thank you

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The book is pretending to teach that Jesus is TGT, but is actually teaching stuff that Jesus didn't teach while subtlety teaching that the WT is the only place where you can learn from TGT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit