My JW SIL is crazy

by Beachwalker 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Beachwalker
    Beachwalker

Hi, a little background. I've been out for 20 years or so. My partner and I got together about 3 years ago. His sister is a JW. I've never bothered saying anything because we don't have much contact, and I don't want to make it awkward for him. I just faded, so I don't know or care whether I've been df or da'd.

He went to Brisbane, and brought her back for a visit. Apart from the fact that she never shuts up, she talks about herself constantly! I bet they love her at the hall.

She is 52 years old and cuts herself, it's attention seeking, I know, but I don't know how to deal with it. I know what I want to say, but it's not my place.

Here in Australia if you are on unemployment or a pension there's free health care, so she's got psychologist's, case workers, etc, all running after her, and she still wants attention!

She was here for 4 days, and in that time she complained about her wrist (she said it might have nerve damage because she hit it with a hammer), her other wrist (carpal tunnel), her back, her legs, her stomach, her head.

I feel sorry for her, but I don't want to feel sorry for her! Does that make sense? I don't want to give her the negative attention she obviously thrives on. My partner asked me what he should do, and I said I know what I'd do.

Tell her that getting negative attention is short term and ultimately futile. Ask her to list the positive things about her life, then get her to commit to small goals, getting up early, cleaning the floor, and work up to longer goals. I said that I'm sure that they've already tried all these techniques.

I looked online and could only find teenagers that cut themselves, not 50 year old women.

Also not sure if the jw thing is the cause or a symptom!

Beachwalker

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Wow....hard situation to be in. Can you maybe ring helpline or something and ask what their advice is? Im sure there are some free numbers you can ring, or even health services....just to ask for advice. Im not sure that acknowledging the cutting would do her any good. Maybe they will suggest ignoring it? I dont know. Wish I could be of more help ((hugs))

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Hi Beachwalker - I have sent you a PM. (Click on the envelope in the top right of the screen)

Hopscotch

• yesidid
    yesidid

Cutting and hurting yourself can be a symptom of mercury poisoning.

You can have that as a ten or an eighty year old.

y

• Beachwalker
    Beachwalker

Thanks yesidid, I didn't know that. She takes all sorts of 'health' pills and potions so it's quite likely that she could be overdosing on something. I'll get my partner to check.

Hopscotch, i replied.

Beachwalker

• Beachwalker
    Beachwalker

wantstoleave, thanks for the hug!

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Many JW women are just conditioned to be somatic hypochondriacs. There is really nothing else they can do for positive attention, no career, no education and has little use in the congregation (especially if unmarried). Probably has an underlying depression. The constant negativity comes out in people some how, some way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit