COLLEGE EXPERIENCE/EX-JW-A MUST READ!!!!- DEEEEEP

by Kay Francis 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Kay Francis
    Kay Francis

I've always wanted to be a writer, and because of being in the org never got a chance to fulfill my dreams, goals or desires. Now that I'm enrolled in college, English is a requirement and I took English 101 last semester. In fact, I'm enrolled in the Honors program. Anyhow, here is my first english essay that I submitted. At first I was hesitant about turning it in but then thought that my teacher would not be able to tell what affiliation it was anyway so why not. I got an "A" on this paper as well as in the class.

Let me know how it sounds and whether or not you think I've got writing potential. I appreciate your comments in advance.

-------------ESSAY STARTS HERE------------

The Power of Knowledge
    The distant cries of a saddened heart that bespeaks only from within and the constant fear of the unknown had taken over Suzie's very life. Her childhood was stolen and replaced with false promises as the clock ticked with anticipation of many divine things that would soon come to pass. She gave over her mind and merely functioned as a robot as she listened intently and followed strict orders from select organizational leaders that made pertinent decisions in her personal life. The enormous torch she was expected to carry was more than she could bear, but it was constantly reinforced that it could be done. She therefore, experienced feelings of guilt and shame because she worked tirelessly to keep the pace, but was profusely lacking in her deeds of devotion according to the leaders. Members in the group began to look down on her as being unappreciative, spiritually weak, and even felt that she lacked a true love for God. Many times she wanted to give up, but the constant fear of not becoming a failure and giving in to the demands of Satan constantly rang true in her mind. She, therefore, continued to be a zealous and faithful member of an intolerant organization that she secretly despised in her heart. Fear of letting anyone know her true feelings meant rejection - a rejection that at the time she could not bear. Her mind, although brilliant, was powerless, her self-esteem plummeted, and her natural, outgoing demeanor was destroyed. Although she could freely move about, her mind was imprisoned and entrapped. Life simply was not worth living. The constant rules of do's and don'ts consumed her every thought, and the desire to fit in became her inner strength. Suzie's friends were ruthless, uncaring, and unkind because they too were trying to live up to their dedication and desire to seek approval from the group and stepped on anyone that got in their way. The group would examine her every word and deed, and as if under a microscope, they would judge her very actions. The leaders constantly told her that she was part of a happy group. She even went to great lengths to convince herself and others that this was true. However, she finally came to the realization that no matter what was said, she knew she was literally wasting away on the inside.

Melinda is a happy go-lucky girl who enjoys taking walks in the park and walking along white sandy beaches with her hair flying radiantly in the wind. She enjoys the ruggedness of the waters as the waves rush back and forth on the isolated beach. She most certainly cherishes the sounds of children in the air as they jump and play in the clear blue water along the shore. The vividness of the sun that shines brilliantly in the cloudless sky reminds her of the freedom and liberty she enjoys as a citizen of the United States of America. Happiness flourishes everywhere and everything she touches seems to turn to gold. Success is written everywhere, and her brain is on cruise control as she encounters every imaginable thing that the finest in life can ever offer. As she swiftly walks about with ease she realizes that there's nothing that can stop her. The sky's the limit and she's in control. Everyone she talks to gives her words of encouragement and praises her to high heaven. In fact, they feel there is nothing she can't accomplish. She has a vivid imagination and her creativity is well appreciated by her close associates and acquaintances as well. Although she's a successful person and enjoys the finer things in life, she never takes the simplicities of life for granted.

The lives of Suzie and Melinda are like night and day as they don't seem to share anything in common. It is interesting to note, however, that they indeed have a lot in common because these two persons happen to be one in the same individual. No, they are not part of a split personality, but instead Suzie has broken the chain of fear and evolved into the illustrious Melinda that has come into a serious revelation about the true and real meaning of life. The dividing line that comes between them is the freedom that Suzie was never allowed to possess. It is a classic example of how belief systems are strong and don't die easy. One belief trapped Suzie for what appeared to be an eternity, but when she emerged and began to explore life in a different light, she was able to flourish into the happy-go-lucky Melinda. Once she was able to take in knowledge and ascertain her previous belief system she was able to obtain a better perspective on life. This required her to step outside of her robotic state and begin to look for a reason to live and be happy. Unfortunately, there are many Suzie's out there that don't know how to take control of their life nor seek other avenues of success. They live day to day, drowning in a sea of beliefs, fears and superstitions that have been handed down to them from generations past. I, therefore, urge the readers of this story to put on your thinking cap and start examining and exploring other avenues of life. Don't allow yourself to be like the Suzie's of the world, but take charge of your life and start living. In conclusion I strongly recommend making advances in life by becoming a better-informed individual in society because knowledge is power and is the best way to a successful life as you journey into the future.

---------------------END OF ESSAY---------------------

Kay

Ain't no thang but a chicken wang!!!!

• thewiz
    thewiz

Very good, however,

maybe you just did a quick-cut-and-paste from an existing doc but more paragraphs -needs white space

and leave off the "In conclusion..." sentence, leave the reader to figure that out. Allow your reader to draw from their own life experiences, to allow their mind to wander, so-to-speak, where it will and where it may to reach a conclusion.

Don't force them into a mold on a way of thinking, because after all, that is one of the points you are trying to make.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Very good piece Kay.

I know there are several other writers out there on this board. I've got 66,000 words of novel in my computer at home, plus some smaller pieces.

Let's all get together some how.

My e-mail addresses are [email protected] and [email protected].

• Kay Francis
    Kay Francis

Thanks for your comments thus far, and Jeff I look forward to hearing further from you. It's always great to talk the lingo of someone that has the same interests.

Kay

Ain't no thang but a chicken wang!!!!

• Scully
    Scully

Kay

I loved your "before" and "after" comparison!

My first "apostate" work was written as an English assignment in 1996, while I was in my first year of college. I was limited in that the assignment could be no more than 700 words in length, so a lot of snipping had to be done; but my professor was very impressed and gave the paper a 97% grade.

Here's the URL where it is currently located, in case you're interested:

http://home.earthlink.net/~defender/de01022.htm

I am very grateful to JanH who hosted it on his website for several years!

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• larc
    larc

Kay,

I thought your essay was moving and flowed very nicely.

The only thing that did not flow for me was near the end when you wrote that you urged readers to put on their thinking cap. I think I would change that to urge readers to think seriously. For me, that was the only bump on the journey of a beautiful piece of work.

• cellomould
    cellomould

very nice thoughts Kay!

my only suggestion (parroting thewiz) is to make judicious use of paragraphs.

I understand the need for 'white space'. Right now I am reading a truly wonderful book called Austerlitz, by W.G. Sebald. It is written without chapters and almost entirely without paragraphs.

It's a great text, but I find myself having to read the same lines over and over again because it's hard to keep track of my progress through his stream of conciousness. (I have been criticized as speaking that way. Well, I suppose I do.)

Oh, one more comment:

Your college experience can actually be very confining as well. While I have had my mind opened in so many ways, I run into brick walls often. Old habits die hard, and it's still an institution. (perhaps that's because I'm in engineering rather than a liberal major)

So enjoy your experience and allow it to be as personal as you wish!

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• Kay Francis
    Kay Francis

Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful comments and suggestions. It really helps!

Scully, I read your term paper and I thought it was excellent. Your professor should have given you a 100%. My husband thought you did excellent too.

Kay

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit