anyone know who the jw was convicted of child abuse in shannon New Zealand?

by nelly1 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• nelly1
    nelly1

was in the paper 2 days ago here is the story:

Stuff.co.nz

Testimony 'chilling reading'

A former Shannon freezing worker who physically and sexually abused his stepchildren will spend five years in prison.

The 45-year-old man, who cannot be named because it would identify his victims, was sentenced in Levin District Court yesterday on 10 historic charges of indecent assault and assault, which occurred between 1991 and 1996 at the family home in Shannon.

The names of his victims, three children and ex-wife, were suppressed. Two of the victims and the man's elderly parents sat at the back of the court.

From the age of 7, his stepdaughter had endured sexual abuse that led to the man facing four charges of indecent assault and a charge of assault.

He would creep into her bedroom and touch her genitalia and in later years forced her to touch his penis, the court heard.

Two boys under the age of 14 and the girl were beaten with a kettle cord, leather belts, wooden spoons and sticks, which led to four charges of assault.

One of the boys came forward last year and laid a complaint with police.

The man was also charged with assaulting his ex-wife. The children would often witness the beatings, Judge Grant Fraser told the court. "The effect on all of the victims made chilling reading. The effects will stay with them for the rest of their lives."

The victims lived in constant fear of the man "flying into a rage", Judge Fraser said.

The victims' issues with drugs, alcohol and violence stemmed from the years of beatings and abuse, Judge Fraser said. "Your offending blighted the children's potential and has ruined their lives."

Lawyer Keith Becker said as a child the man had been subjected to violence condoned by the Jehovah's Witness church, of which his family was a part.

Judge Grant Fraser interrupted: "Are you suggesting that the Jehovah's Witness church justifies this type of violence? I imagine they would be somewhat surprised to hear that."

Mr Becker said the church "didn't take these matters lightly" and had set up its own "court" to deal with the man's actions.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Can you post a link to the original artical please ( the writing is a bit small )

• Black Sheep
  • Lillith26
    Lillith26

Cheers Chris.

I dont who he is- I dont want to know him either- those poor kids........... I think it just sick that the WTBTS has the nerve to think they have the right to act as the law in these issues and not hand these people over to the proper authorities.......... the WTBTS should be held accountable for not reporting information to the police straight away in cases like this!!!!!!!!!!!! now Iam all cranky yeah, Iam really sure the 'church didn't take this matter lightly'- they would sweep it under the rug if you let them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pulling My Hair Out

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Mr Becker said the church "didn't take these matters lightly" and had set up its own "court" to deal with the man's actions.

Note that there is no statement of what action the church actually took.

If the "court" felt he was truly repentant he wouldn't be thrown out, and the congregation wouldn't even know.

He wouldn't even have to repent for wholloping the kids for 'correction'.

If one of the boys had't potted him to the police he might have got away with a slap on the wrist and no more said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit