Does anyone have any suggestions?

by siegswife 2 Replies latest jw friends

• siegswife
    siegswife

The elder that was studying with my husband last year called him last night. During the conversation my husband told him that he's been finding out some troublesome info about the JW's, like their association with the UN. He also mentioned that he has a problem with the way they treat members who raise questions about the teachings of the society and the way they treat ex members. Anyway, the elder wants to come here to talk about these things.

My husband said that he would be willing to do that at some point in the future and I want to make sure he has some ammo. What would be the best stuff for me to print out so that he has a concise presentation regarding the UN association that's (semi) short and to the point? I was thinking the old list of NGO's, the criteria for being associated with the DPI, the letter from Hoeffel(sp?) and the lie about the library card. Am I missing anything?

Sieg said that the elder didn't even respond to the UN statement, so I don't even know if he knows anything about it at all.
    He hasn't set up a day and time yet, but I want to be prepared for it. Thanks.

Lea

• ItsJustMe
    ItsJustMe

You should review some of the threads started by hawk. Or I started a thread called something like "One More Question about the UN thing" that ended up being filled with lots of excellent information, which he kindly refilled with everything he had researched.

------------

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Debating these things with an elder is pointless. Especially if your husband is not well versed in JW teachings, answers that seemingly make sense to the ignorant will be pawned off on him.

Since most elders are unaware of the UN thing, but also would be cautious and skeptical about anything your husband could say or show him, the conversation will likely hit a dead end on this point.

Dates and 607 and other "errors" are blown off with "we're imperfect and we've made mistakes, but we still have the truth" and "who else is doing the preaching work?".

Since your husband has nothing to lose, it would be interesting to see the elder's response to his reading Crisis of Conscience and him asking the elder to read or go over some passages with him. The elders response (likely denouncing the literature as apostate and leaving) should leave your husband no doubt that this is a cult and should eliminate the irritating visits in the future.

Ultimately, these sorts of discussions are a waste of your time. You know its not "the truth", your husband knows this and you won't convince the elder. It's an exercise in futility.

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit