What is the JW story on baptisim?

by Out at Last! 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

They claim that all of their beliefs and actions are based on the scriptures, so how can they justify 9,10 year olds, or even early teens getting baptized? Jesus was 29, John the baptist was the same age or a year older. All of the others I recall from the OT & NT were adults. In my case I was at the ripe old age of 14 when I was baptized, at the age when I knew everything, or so I thought. All reasonable adults KNOW that children can not make decisions that will affect them for the rest of their lives. So why do dubs stand by and encourage, & even pressure their young ones to make this decision, especially when there are no scriptural grounds for doing such?

Is the answer as simple as I think? Do they want to trap people while they are young, and for life? If that is the plan, it is obvously flawed as evidenced by the hundreds, even thousands of young adults fleeing from WTS as soon as they have the chance, and are logical enough to make such decisions.

As I said, I think I know the answers to the questions that I am asking, I think that I just needed to vent.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

They absolutely want to get them while they're young. They say it's a loving provision, but it's a control technique. At a CO visit a year or two back, the Organisation let it be know that they think young men - as in mid-teens, so boys, really - should be encouraged to 'reach out' and have 'responsibilities'. The reason given was that it 'locks them into' the congregation.

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

The fact is , by the laws of the land , age restrictions are put in place for certain activities for a reason. You cant learn to drive until you are 17. You cant vote until you are 18. You cant get married until you are 16. You cant go into a pub or buy alcohol until you are 18, sometimes 21. (All in UK).

The WTS will encourage baptism at a young age for their own benefit. Like PP said, its to lock them into the organization. What they don't think about is, when a child in the org. then does something wrong or breaks the rules, which they most likely will do, purely down to being young, going through the trials and tribulations of adolesance or bowing to peer pressure, they will then have sit through a scary judicial committee. They could face disfellowshipping and public humiliation in the congregation. What Child could cope with being ostracised, shunned and alienated from their friends. They are not mature enough to accept this or deal with it. With some it could have a really adverse effect mentally and emotionally. They will treated the same way they would deal with an adult and yet they are not an adult. It shouldn't be allowed.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

That is exactly my point. What if any scriptural backing do they use to promote baptisim of minors?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Note The WT 88 3/15 p14/15

"Jesus’ words at Matthew 28:19, 20 show that it is those who have been made his disciples that should be baptized. Hence, it follows that no infant or small child could meet the Scriptural requirements for baptism. An infant could not exercise faith in God’s Word, in God the Creator, and in his Son Jesus Christ. An infant could not understand that the holy spirit is God’s active force; nor could it repent of past sins and make a solemn vow to do God’s will.

But it seems that some among Jehovah’s people have gone to the other extreme. Many Christian parents let their children wait until they are in their late teens before broaching the subject of baptism. Time and again, we hear of youngsters making a valid dedication solely on their own initiative. For example, the preteen son of an elder sincerely wanted to get baptized. So his father had three other elders discuss with the youngster the questions designed for those contemplating baptism. Their conclusion was that, though quite young, he qualified to be baptized as an ordained minister of Jehovah God. Why, attending the Pioneer Service School in the Bahamas recently was a ten-year-old baptized girl, the daughter of two full-time ministers!

In this regard, it seems that some parents are falling short. To what extent are they using ‘fire-resistant materials’ to build Christian personalities in their children? (1 Corinthians 3:10-15) First of all, doing so requires that the pure worship of Jehovah be the most important thing in the parents’ lives. Additionally, the parents must be heeding the fine counsel given at Deuteronomy 6:6, 7 and Ephesians 6:4. The result of this may be that the parents will need to restrain their children from getting baptized too early, rather than needing to coach them later.

Once a person has demonstrated trust in Jehovah by means of dedication and water baptism, he must continue to demonstrate that trust. The succeeding article, “Serving as Jehovah’s Trusting Fellow Workers,” will help us to appreciate what this involves."

I too was baptised too young, at 13..Mind you, I would no doubt have done it later. But it is blatently wrong to hold a person to a commitment pledged so young.. A wiser old P O said to the guardian of a youngster,in my hearing, that he did not think that her child should be baptiized because she only has to make a typical teenage slip up and then we have to discipline her as a grown up...But of course this man was speaking against official WT policy..

• Lieu
    Lieu

They stopped believing in Jesus and baptism in the spirit. So now, people get baptised into the org and God (Jah) has even disappeared from the picture. "God's spirit annointed org"??? What the hell is that for a baptism?

The baptism ceremony is disgusting in terms of Christianity.

[If you want a real Biblical Christian baptism, go see the Baptists.] Get yourself dipped the real way.

• designs
    designs

Baptists hahahahaha.......hahahaha......hahahahahaha

oh that's rich thanks for the laugh.

• lancelink
    lancelink

Great thread, i appreciated all the comments.

i was a witness for over 25 years, and not once did I question the WT stand on baptism !

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Catholics baptize infants using the "all nations" verbage as meaning literally all people. They also call to mind that Jesus repudiated his followers and told them to let all come to me meaning the small children.

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it" (Luke 18:15-17).

As far as JW go, a JW baptism is more about preaching allegiance to the Organization that what the Bible describes as the reason for baptism; asking to be forgiven for sin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit