Qatar

by JWdaughter 6 Replies latest social current

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Anyone live or travel there lately? I have an interesting prospect and wonder if there are any opinions about the place that have some actual experience of Qatar attached to them?

Did you feel safe?

Did you like it?

Tell me whatever may have impressed you-one way or another about Qatar.

thanks

• Roski
    Roski

I have friends there working as teachers. They've been there a couple of years and seem to like it.

Not sure that there is a lot to do, but they bought a car (necessary) and go to the beach - they also travel a lot.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Thanks, Roski. My husband is interviewing for a position there that would take us all with him. I am trying to find out all I can about it.

• Roski
    Roski

Just an idea - if you go to the Dave Sperling website you can go to the Qatar page and read some entries. They will be mainly about teaching but other more general issues are discussed - you could also join and ask questions.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I had a look at Sperling, thanks.

The more I look into it, the more I am learning. I think I am freaked out a bit by how the society works. There are jobs and housing that specify race and age. I have seen them openly request very attractive women(I'm doomed in a job search!) I am not a rabid feminist or anything, but my American sensibilities are going to have to get a little less rigid on my ideas of the way things ought to be.

My husband may be getting transferred there (not sure thing) and I have been avidly seeking more info. Apparently Qatar is not a major destination:)

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I know someone that used to live there and he loved it.

Last time I talked to him he was looking for work there too,

He is an Architectural engineer, don't know how his job search is going.

purps

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

the building boom has slowed down, but the govt is busy busy busy building a modern country, so I am sure there is something for him. I really hope he gets it, but trying not to hold my breath:) I need a change. And you know what, no one will be waking us up early on a Sat. morning. Not allowed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit