Why some exJW's become Atheist...

by vilot 7 Replies latest jw friends

• vilot
    vilot

Very interesting article at Free Minds...

Exiting Jehovah's Witnesses usually just get started with an examination of JW dogma. From there, other churches are examined. The bible itself is examined. And many, in their efforts to be honest with themselves, come to the conclusion that there is no outstanding reason to believe or claim that Christianity is the one true faith. Others do not see God at all.
    http://www.freeminds.org/blogs/spirituality-beyond-gilead/we-all-lose-faith-sometimes.html
  • vilot
  • Megachusen
    Megachusen

"At the same time though, we seem to be spiritual creatures. It looks like a higher quality of life is associated with acknowledging that "spiritual" side we all have."

I call bullshit.

• steve2
    steve2

Actually, you seem to know something that I don't. This type of thread is speculative and premised on the belief that there is a God and people have closed their eyes to his exisitence because they've been hurt by other religious people. Is that so? I've known people who have left the watchtower and done fabulously in terms of their faith in God. Similarly, I've known people in the watchtower who had a hard job believing in God even when they were "active". So?

I could postulate that the reason people become believers in God is because of all that they've been through in their lives. And my point would be? To promote my own position on the subject - either believing or not believing.

However, the existence or otherwise of God has absolutely nothing to do with where I or anyone else is "at". God either exists or doesn't - irrespective of varigated human experience.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Meh, I always say that the JWs spent so much effot tearing down every other religion around me, going into detail as to why and how they were wrong, revealing thye Emperor's new clothes (foreign emperor's of course) to be nothing but nudity...

Once you see the GB in the full monty (figuratively....) then what else is there? To me its just a natural progression.

• vilot
    vilot

I don't think it was painting all exjw's with a broad stroke everyone has different experiences on their road to spirituality. In my case this is exactly what happened after I left I found no God...

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

As I wrote this blog, I will clarify a couple of statements that are loosely out of context, but included to make a point.

"At the same time though, we seem to be spiritual creatures. It looks like a higher quality of life is associated with acknowledging that "spiritual" side we all have."

Mega, I frequently get called out for my use of the word "spiritual" because of how I use it and the meaning it has for me. Just for the record, I see "spiritually" minded atheists, agnostics, and theists, and the opposite.

To me, being a "spiritual" person does not have anything to do with believing in god, that he exists, or that you should worship him. Far from it. Spiritually minded people to me seem a bit more connected to themselves, they have a purpose in life to which they derive meaning from, and they also value and love all kinds of people.

I think there is a real difference between "spiritual" and "religious".

I don't believe in a personal god, or worship anything. In that sense, I am agnostic. However, as one who observes with great interest, quality of life issues, I have to be honest and say that there are many who are theist, believe in god, and experience a better, higher quality of life as a result. Of course, that doesn't mean their god exists, but I can't deny the benefits for those who think that he does.

And to be fair, atheists and agnostics have this same quality of life. It intrigues me....

This type of thread is speculative and premised on the belief that there is a God and people have closed their eyes to his exisitence because they've been hurt by other religious people. Is that so? I've known people who have left the watchtower and done fabulously in terms of their faith in God. Similarly, I've known people in the watchtower who had a hard job believing in God even when they were "active". So?

No, it was my intent to give theists something to think about so they don't judge atheists and agnostics, and to do so in a concilliatory fashion. Again, every person's individual experience at best can only be good for them, which both theists and atheists need to reallize. At the end of the day, it IS personal.

However, the existence or otherwise of God has absolutely nothing to do with where I or anyone else is "at". God either exists or doesn't - irrespective of varigated human experience.

Agreed.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

You can blog over at FMinds now? I gotta get out more....

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit