this just makes me ill

by uncle jimbo 7 Replies latest jw friends

• uncle jimbo
    uncle jimbo

to set the mood: think of the lavish $1 million dollar chandelier in the Stanley theater, think of the lavish settings of Patterson, think of any excess bankrolled by those morally bankrupt geezers in Crooklyn.

Now, any of you catch the back cover of the Feb 1, 2002 WT? The title is "Wise In Their Own Way" and it's about these impoverished African kids who donate to the Society from their lunch money.
    From the article:

Unknown to their parents, Emmanuel, Michael, and Uchei, their nine-year-old sister, have been saving part of their lunch money and putting it into the boxes. Where did they get this idea? As soon as the children were old enough to hold money in their hands, their parents taught them to drop some money in the contribution box at the Kingdom Hall...When the boxes were filled, they were opened. The savings totaled $3.13 (US) -- no insignificant sum in a country where the average annual income is a few hundred dollars
    The kid in the picture with the article looks like he should have bought some more lunch with the money. I think about the Bethel speaker at my parent's District Convention -- hubby and wife decked to the nines in Armani, matching rolexes, the leather luggage. You know, what anyone can afford on the typical Bethel allowance (which is something like $20 /wk).

I also remember a comment from a Bethel heavy family friend that a significant percentage of the WT income (donations) comes from Third World countries. Sad indeed.

Wonder how far that $3.13 the kid sent will go towards paying a pedophilia settlement.

smile.

uncy

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The lad in question was also going without his full lunches to save the money he was donating. I wonder how parents reading that would feel?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Anonymous

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

HOW SAD! This is exactly one of the reasons why my family is no longer supporting the WT. Our congregation was going through a remodle. Not only did they break rules, but they spent way too much money on it. My father, while sitting at one of the "decussions" brought up the idea of spending less money (he's a farmer and knows how to make a penny go farther). He suggested that we could spend less, and send the rest back to support other countries and their ministry work. The elder who placed himself in charge (not the PO, actually, but he decided he'd step right in front of him and take over) was opposed. In fact his wife told my dad that his faith was lacking, and that he needed to place is trust in Jehovah. Astounded by their selfishness, we no longer contributed to the Society (finding out that stuff like this happens all over the world in the Society!). It spured on a huge study by my father, "Did Jesus ask for money?". It really sheds light on the whole "pay your way into heaven/paradise" that most relgions profess (even the Watchtower, though through passive means). If you're interested, he'd probably share his research.

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

The thought of this makes me appalled and sad, with a few tears.

I remember once the Maplewood congregation is St.Paul, Minneapolis had a broke copy machine, propably worth 1500 dollars at the time. They just gave it away to one of the privy elders, who claimed the anointing. He hustled and made a few hundred off it I guess. All it needed was a fuse.

After that I never gave again to the WT, but I looked for individuals to help.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Someone once mentioned that the Stanley Theatre chandelier was already there. I am not condoning their actions, just want to get the facts strait.

ashi

• Seeker
    Seeker

I was the one who pointed out about the Stanley theatre. I agree with this thread 100%, but not the use of that one particular example. There isn't much the Society can do about that chandelier, it came with the place, and they are not supposed to sell it according to historical site rules.

There are plenty of examples that can be used. I'd like to see this particular one put to pasture.

• JT
    JT

Someone once mentioned that the Stanley Theatre chandelier was already there. I am not condoning their actions, just want to get the facts strait.

--------

you are correct it was merely restored and appraise at 1million

they didn
    to spend a million to buy it

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Has anyone else wondered if the WTS makes up little African children stories in order to get more money from the rank and file around the world?

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit