The small mental world of j-dubs

by Psychotic Parrot 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I will have a conversation with a j-dub in which i will attempt to understand why they are so certain that they are in the troof. The conversation will usually involve myself asking them how they know they are the true christian religion.

The answer? "We are the only ones doing God's will!"

I will accept this conditionally. It isn't neccessarily true, but i will accept it for the sake of argument, as it is at least something that they can back up with their own bizarre interpretation of scripture.

... ... ... ...

I will then ask them how they know that they are the only ones doing God's will.

The answer? "We are the only ones following the bible correctly!"

Once again, i will accept this conditionally (even though it cannot possibly be true, since the bible is open to wild interpretation), as it is at least something that they can back up with their own bizarre interpretation of scripture.

But then here comes the roadblock!

!!! !!! !!! !!!

I will finally ask them how they know that the bible is God's word.

The answer? *insert baffled j-dub face here*

The simple fact is this: the very thought that the bible isn't God's word never even enters their mind. It is a non-question to them. You may as well ask them how they know that grass is green. They simply cannot think beyond their own little mental world where the bible is God's word simply because in that little world it is God's word, period.

It is like they are stuck on their own little sphere, or a planet if you will. They cannot go upwards & break away from the gravitational pull of that planet because the planet's gravity (the thought that the bible is God's word) is simply too strong. The result is that no matter how much they think, or how far or fast they move across the surface, they only ever end up going round & round in circles on their own little mental planet, but never actually manage to leave the planet altogether.

I simply cannot understand how someone can confine their mind so much, it scares me.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

if the bible is god word, and started the true religion, would it not be the oldest religion/religious law?

IT IS NOT, there were religious beliefs from thousands of years earlier

• bohm
    bohm

logically, one should a-priori believe all religions are equally true, ie. false, and then seek evidence so strong the logical conclusion was that one particular religion was true and the rest false. how exactly that investigation is circumvented eludes me... at the convention, a speaker said: "the best evidence we have for noahs ark is that jesus mentioned it", and i thought to myself "WTF, does the man not realise that what he does is not to provide proof for anything, he only makes it such that evidence AGAINST noahs ark is evidence AGAINST jesus being Gods son?".

at my study i desided not to grill my conductor on the flood, but i did say that the way i saw it, the fact that the bible PREDICTED very non-trivial things like noahs flood and no evolution is actually very interesting from a scientific standpoint and (by Poppers definition) turns the question if the bible is gods word into a valid scientific theory with very non-trivial predictions. I then wondered why believers did not carry out that investigation and then once and for all PROVED the bible was gods word and not just played passive on issues such as evolution and the flood... i felt he didnt like to think about the bible that way.

my only conclusion is that (strict) believers in the bible dont want to carry out such an investigation simply because they know they wont like the outcome, even though they would happily discard a religion which predicted the earth is flat on scientific grounds alone.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

It's impossible to have a thread like this without throwing in that all important phrase... cognitive dissonance

I think it's basically that which causes them to be so closed to ideas.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, God can only f*** up so many of my opportunities before I develop negative gravity about believing the Bible. And now I firmly believe that the Bible lies, God lies, and that it was Satan that tried to set mankind free. And Jesus was doing the same work as Satan, not the same work as God.

I do not think they have a prayer's chance of getting me to ever believe that God is benevolent, or that the Bible is the truth, again. Never mind that they are not abiding by the Bible as they claim.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

This is the issue I have as well. You can convince me the Bible supports just about any belief. But in order for that to matter, you must first convince me that the Bible has the authority to determine what my beliefs should be. How do these people expect to convert Buddhists, Muslims, pagans, etc?

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

It doesn't matter if they can prove the bible is the word of God or not. It makes no difference because JWs really dont care what the bible says. They only care about what the WTBTS tells them it means. (eg. REV 19:1 - The Great crowd are in Heaven ) The WTBTS says - "No its not !"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit