Are JWs right about anything? No JWs allowed.

by jonathan dough 9 Replies latest jw friends

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

I'm looking for a list of those beliefs and teachings that actually follow Scripture from ex-JWs.

Like, End Times. That we are in them? The world's destruction could come any day?

JD II

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    follow Scripture

Every Christian faith ever imagined "follows Scripture".

If you don't believe it, just ask the pastor of any of those faiths.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary
    I'm looking for a list of those beliefs and teachings that actually follow Scripture from ex-JWs.

To do this, first you must determine what beliefs the scriptures suggest. If there was a consensus on this, there wouldn't be so many religious entities. Most of the JW beliefs are backed up by their interpretation of particular scriptures and can, in turn, be refuted by other interpretations of said scriptures.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That God is not partial. Problem is, they still make him very exclusive in saving only them and not even all of them.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    That God is not partial. Problem is, they still make him very exclusive in saving only them and not even all of them.

Good one.

One step forward, two steps back.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

The question is flawed. The scriptures are not the measure of what is "right".

• flipper
    flipper

Essentially no . And no- we are NOT in the end times. The world's destruction will probably never come. If it does it will be some crazy a$$ comet or huge asteroid smacking the earth. But I rather doubt that will happen ever. Just my take

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

clearly none whatsoever, perhaps a couple of moral guidelines they may enforce but apart from that "jack shit" and the moral lines they enforce hardly make them the forefront of a progressive Christian movement. To me they are right down in the gutter of cults which would include Devil Worshipping groups, Children of God, Jim Jones' Group, The Branch Davidian's, Plymouth Brethren, Amish, Moonies, etc.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

Have you ever head the expression 'the turn of the screw?' It means that the same story, belief, idea, concept, etc can take on an entirely different meaning if you only change your perception by one little turn of a screw. Classic example is the movie "the Others" when you find out that the story is told from the viewpoint of the haunters instead of the haunted.

I have retained some of my former JW beliefs, "God is love" "Christ's ransom" "love everyone as yourself" etc. The difference is how I choose to look at those beliefs. Instead of considering 'field service' volunteer work that benefits the community, I volunteer for GoodWill or the Food Bank. The problem with JW beliefs are mostly in the way they apply the Christian principles to themselves. I am only commenting on the basic Christian beliefs that JWs claim to hold.

My biggest epiphany was when I asked a man in my bible study group "What if the end is right around the corner, I don't finish college, my kids don't go to school and the JWs are right?" He said, "So what, if you are kind, loving, and doing what you believe is right, then you don't have to worry. God reads your heart, not your actions. He will not judge you unworthy just because you are trying to provide better for the children He gave you." Wow, what a simple little turn of perception and all of the anxiety was gone.

So yes, the JWs are right about some things, but wrong in the way that they react to their beliefs.

Angie

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Sometimes they have the right advice--of course, it is out of context. An example would be suggesting people to get enough sleep. Trouble is, every time anyone actually tries to follow that advice, they are going to get hounded because field circus or boasting session attendance is going to be cut back on.

Of course, I have yet to see anything they got right on a generalized basis. Not one end-time prophesy has been right. The world isn't worse than ever before. People that live the "truth(??)" almost always end up poor, destitute, and in bad health (and often die young) because of doing what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger tells them to--and, if they are in a bit better circumstances, it is because they didn't listen enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit