texting bad!!!!

by highdose 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• highdose
    highdose

am i the only one who remembers the GB telling the R&F not to text eachother? this was when mobile phones first became popular, the thinking was that it would be a distraction from spiritual things. I can remember talks from the platform about it, but no one else i talk to can... was i the only one paying attention?

could someone please save my faith in my sanity and tell me i wasn't imagining things?!

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Not everything you hear from the platform comes from the GB. Sometimes brothers will push their own opinion like it's law. I was at an assembly where we were told that God hates anything to do with extraterrestrials because they are an abomination and a mockery of his creation. That was the last we heard of it and it didn't stop any of the local elders from being Trekkies. Everyone I know just ignored it. If it's not in writing, it's an opinion.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I remember admonition in a KM about there being no need to show off the latest gadgets such as cell phones, PDA's, etc.

Sylvia

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

In recent devivals I have heard it to be discouraged from getting very involved in using technology (which I have recorded) since they can be Satan's snares. There was a specific mention of "sexting", which is naughty text messages.

Yeah, cult.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I wonder if people text in the KH's?

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

the elders wife sent me naked pictures to my cell

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Sounds like it might have been during a convention. As in do not text about what you are going to have for lunch while I am speaking!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Texting is bad. It will destroy one's ability to write and speak English in only one day of use. Spell things out. Use proper grammar. Don't use more than one ! or one ? or one . unless you mean for it to be an elipsis meaning something follows.

Texting makes it necessary sometimes to abreviate words to fit them onto an itty-bitty screen. That is not necessary most other places. Texting is for brief messages only.

When one tween-texts whole pieces of information, it takes longer to decipher the words and then the meaning, because bad grammar usually accompanies such texting.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I can remember talks from the platform about it, but no one else i talk to can... was i the only one paying attention?

If you spent less time paying attention to the meetings and more time texting, like the rest of us, you wouldn't be having this problem. You never would have heard the counsel.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit