This could be important: Right to live facility and medical directives (Kaiser Hospital)

by truthseeker 7 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This email is making the rounds....

1. Kaiser hospital now scans your medical directive right into their computer system so no matter which one you go to they have it. You just take a copy to any of their hospital admissions office.

2. I don’t know much of a problem this could be.

One of the friends wrote: "I had a similar experience just last month at a clinic in Eatonville, FL. As I'm sitting in the lobby I noticed a sign on the wall among other posters. It said, "We do not honor medical directives." I asked the receptionist about the sign but she replied she had never noticed it before and didn't know what it meant. She told me to ask the nurse or doctor.

I asked the nurse and basically they said that this is a right to live facility and they will do whatever it takes to save the patient.

So needless to say, I didn't keep my next appointment. I thought to myself, I don't plan on fainting or having some kind of serious health issue, but what if? And what if I'm in this office when that happens. So now we have to be more aware of these signs in doctor's offices.

3) This happened to another of the friends.

Before a particular procedure I was given three pages to read with all kinds of information in small type --- problems I've had in the past, operations, meds I take, etc., the usual stuff. At the end I had to sign the papers. I assume that 99% of us trust our doctors and we sign, never expecting to run into a paragraph like this (word for word):

"I understand that advance directives are NOT honored at this medical Center and in the event of a life-threatening situation, emergency medical procedures will be instituted in every instance and patients will be transferred to a higher level of care where the decision to continue or to terminate emergency measures can be made . . . "

Make sure you are not signing away your rights!

• MrsPeaches
    MrsPeaches

I wonder if it is just an email 'story'. If it is legit good for those doctors! That's what they are trained to do - SAVE LIVES. Is it any wonder they disagree with those ridiculous directives?

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I wonder what the legal repurcussions would be if this is true. I imagine getting sued for all they're worth a few times would put a wrench in it. Oh, and result in higher prices for everyone.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Is this a joke?? Seriously, both of you. Is it a joke??

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I received the email from a JW. I cannot verify the contents but if it were true it would present a grave problem for the society.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

If a medical directive says the patient wants to DIE what Doctors conscience would allow him to just follow it?

I hope any doctor would honor his oath to SAVE life where possible.

Witlesses seem not to realise that a Doctor has a conscience too. But of course a Doctor cannot really care about any of his patients if he does not already know and love jehoobie.

HB

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

This smells like so much witness hokum; do they mean Kaiser Permenante, a chain, has now decided to ignore legal documents?

Unlikely.

P

• I quit!
    I quit!

I'll go with the Witness hokum on this one. I have been in Kaiser facilities quite a bit in the last few months and haven't seen such a sign and don't think that is the way they would go about it. However I have no problem with doctors ignoring directives based on religious lies and superstitions in order to save a life as Hamsterbait said doctors also have a conscience and they have a job to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit