Gefilte Fish for the Holidays

by MikeNightHaShev 6 Replies latest jw friends

• MikeNightHaShev
    MikeNightHaShev

I remember some people were asking for Challah bread recipes but have you gotten a Gefilte Fish recipe yet?
    I just added mine to my low cholesterol recipe page:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/bp/890/gourmet.html
    For real Gefilte fish replace the whiting fillet with carp or mix the two. The recipe I have on the page is for less expensive and more readilly available whiting fillet. Carp is hard to find in my area for some reason.

• nowaytess
    nowaytess

Shalom!

Here is a Matzo Ball soup recepie:

1 cup matzo meal
    4 eggs
    1/4 of oil or melted shorting
    1 teasppon of salt
    1/4 cup broth (chicken for most of you, I am a vegatarin so I use veggie broth)

Chicken soup or a can of Chicken broth or Veggie version for Vegatarians.

Beat eggs and oil together in a bowl. Add matzo meal and salt. The mixture will now be a little thick. Add water or broth mix well. Put in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (longer it sets the better the matzo balls) or you can make ahead of time and put in fridge.

In soup pot add enough water or broth with salt and bring to a boil. Remove mix from fridge and roll inot 1 inch size matzo balls. Drop in boiling water and reduce heat to low let cook for 30 minutes.

then with a slotted spoon remove matzo balls and heat broth or soup. Enjoy!

La Chim (to life)

<A HREF= http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/christianexjehovahswitnesses </A>

• MikeNightHaShev
    MikeNightHaShev

Thanks that will go well with my famous chicken soup my Bubbi taught me.

Here it is for those who can eat chicken-this is Jewish Penecilin the best remedy for a cold:

IN the POt of water place cut up or one whole KOSHER chicken (because regular chicken is weak in flavor and the soup is to watered down) only a Kosher chicken makes a deeper yellow broth.
    Add fresh dill Many stalks of it, add large chunks of carrots, large slices of Onions, little salt, and also a Parsnip- it looks like a white carrot.
    Every so often Use a skiming sifter to sift out skin, fat and floating chicken debris.
    You'll need to cook it at least over an hour for the chicken to be fully cooked and the flavor to come out.
    Some people remove the stalks of dill but I love eating them like a vegetable in the soup, the more floating in my soup the better and healthier it is.
    I even eat the chunks of parsnip as well, some people remove that.
    You'll not only have soup with chicken pieces for a few days but the soup chicken by itself is like Butter and makes a meal in itself..

(for those on low fat diets I recommend letting it chill and gell overnight in the fridge so you can skim the hardened fat
    that surfaces to the top.)

• Eric
    Eric
    one whole KOSHER chicken (because regular chicken ...

Please explain how a kosher chicken differs from regular chicken. What are the regulations, who establishes the regs, how is the verification maintained, who can apply to be a kosher producer, and where can I buy it?

Eric

• MikeNightHaShev
    MikeNightHaShev

>>how a kosher chicken differs from regular chicken.

It's fead differently which is why the coloring and flavor becomes more robust then a regular chicken. I've tried making soup with non Kosher chicken and I always had to add chicken broth because it was way to watery. If you're making soup from chikcen the last thing you should have to do is add soup to your soup.

>>What are the regulations, who establishes the regs,

There are special Rabbi's who oversee kosher kitchens and slaughter houses. The way they Kill the chicken is regulated as much as what they fead the chicken.

>>how is the verification maintained,

Places usually maintain the Rabbi's as inspectors and overseers.

>>who can apply to be a kosher producer,
    anyone who maintains the standard I suppose-I'm not an expert on those things to know for sure the process of certification.

>>and where can I buy it?
    Besides Kosher Butchers and Delis which are sometimes listed in Phone books you might find it in the freezer section of some supermarkets
    or ask your market to order you fresh kosher chickens whereby some markets will accomadate their customers this way.
    The irony is my town has the chicken but doesn't have fresh dill anywhere.

• nowaytess
    nowaytess

I'll explain it to you:

A Meat to be declared Kosher by a Rabbi has to meet a few requirments:

1] the animal must be raised and killed in the most humane mannor as possible.

2] then all veins and artries are removed by a Kosher butcher.

Then the meat is soaked in water for a 1/2 hour to dialate the veins too small to be removed by the butcher. Then the portion of meat is covered in Kosher Salt for an hour.

This is to follow the law code in Lev. 17:11-16 about eating blood. Why Jehovah's Witness are not taught this point or required to eat on Kosher meat is very hypocritical in light of a Jehovah' Witness who will die refusing a blood transfusion.

Kosher salt removes all the excess blood and impurities left behind by a regualr slaughter.

The chicken flavor is more intense becasue all the excess blood, fluids and impurities are removed.

People are begining to turn back to Kosher food because Kosher regulations require food area to be cleaner. Dioet is more healthy because it does not allow the eating of animal fat, shell fish or mix dairy products with eggs.

• nowaytess
    nowaytess

Eric,

Here is some good websites which will introduce you to Kosher and Regulations etc:

<A HREF= http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/kosherfaq.htm </A>

<A HREF= http://www.jewishfoods.com </A>

I hope these site will help you understand a little bit more about Kosher foods.

I also found on the Kosher Foods the reason why Gefilte fish was invented in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit