Pathetic Roll Call

by Valis 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Valis
    Valis

I thought the easiest way to share the pathetic tale of one faithful family in a different sort of way. We'll start at the top and work our way to myself.

Grandfather Mom's Side=never saw him, abused his children sexually/physically, emotionally, finally got the Big DF and has been sighted at halls around country using different names. Other wife/family also abused and left.

Grandmother Mom's Side= Lived w/abusive elder/alchoholic for many years, after he left for life w/other wife, went crazy, then she got cancer, but wouldn't get transfusions, or bone marrow transplant. Dead

Grandfather Dad's side=left JWs after argument over appropriate attire at Hall and never went back. My favorite relative. RIP

Grandmother Dad's side=never attended regularly, except passover, always dipped snuff even when she preached about other's wicked ways. Got Alzhiemers and was sent to rest home.

Dad=lost many jobs throughout years because of percieved rights or wrongs on job having to deal w/job vs biblical practices. Created severe probs keeping us in house and home. Unhappy w/marriage and currently unemployed. We don't speak.

Mom=overworked, had four kids, one of which ended up being disabled at birth, despite doctor's warning against having baby. Now works for hospital and has daily struggle w/conscience over medical practices and university research. Can't afford to quit job. We rarely speak.

Sister 1=Suffers from severe depression, way overweight, never goes to hall, but constantly spouts verse and JW policy. Ended up marrying crack addict and has two kids, both out of wedlock.

Sister 2= Has Downs Syndrome and has no hope for life outside JW box.

Brother=Was home schooled to keep him away from worldly influence. Ended up sneaking out of house when parents weren't there to help w/studies or monitor his behaviour. Ended up getting addicted to speed, started stealing and went to prison. Now in California, whereabouts unknown.

Finally Me=Left at 17 and went off deep end. Spent several years doing inumerable bad things to my body, finally went a little crazy around 23. Eventually went to college and developed my own world view and drug myself from the pits of despair and overwhelming guilt. Failed marriage and two lovely children who I see on weekends.

Now, this may seem like average family drama, but I really think that things could have been different. It seems to me that strict religious upbringing causes some kind of abberant behaviour in all kinds of people, young and old. Perhaps if my family had spent more time celebrating the each other, instead of going to hall 3 times a week, service once a week and studying the litterature the other days, we might have been more stable. Just thought I would share one extreme example of what I am sure is not an isolated case.

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

Sure makes yah wonder about the "truth", don't it? Wow mon, yah sure got one hell of a back ground in that family. Liked the home page yah got's listed. I'm a newbie at this "club", but for what it's worth, Welcome!

• COMF
    COMF

Welcome to the board, Valis. Congratulations on pulling yourself up by the bootstraps. I also put myself through college later in life, and have dealt with depressing family stuff. Glad to have your voice on the board.

COMF

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Nice to meet you Valis. Welcome to the board. You will come to find out many people here have been through crazy stuff. It is hard, but once we get past it we are much better, stronger people. I am glad you found the board and look foward to getting to know you.

I left when I was 19 when I went to college. I am still in grad school now...only a little bit left YEA!!!

Again...welcome

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Cool Valis,

sounds like a normal JW family to me ... for crying out load .. lol you're more than welcome here bro. I've been enjoying your comments. Have fun and welcome to the cuckoo nest

cheers, unclebruce.

• cellomould
    cellomould

hey Valis you have sounded pretty sane and well-adjusted in all of the posts I've read of yours.

Perhaps you have enough inner strength now to reach out to some others in your family. I am sure you have lots of love to give. It should prove worth the effort.

I need to do this as well, so I am glad you had the courage to write this post. Thanks!

cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Hey Val, LOL Doesn't sound all that extreme to me. Although I do wish I had a grandfather as cool.

TimB

• Prisca
    Prisca

hi Valis,

with that background you'll fit in just fine here

welcome aboard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit