Ray Franz in Prague

by Albert Einstein 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

1,5 year ago Ray Franz visited Prague, Czech republic, and did several meetings and press conferences. Enclosed is a short video from one of such meetings.

It is in english - just the opening question is in czech (Arent you sorry you have left GB? Maybe you could be more usefull to us if you had stayed in the GB...).

Just for your information...

Albert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c6I0fjiYNU&feature=related

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

Thank you for this post.

I find his life so interesting.

I was really touched by his experiences and I am so thankful for his insight.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Yes, thanks for posting this. Are there more in english?

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Will, this one is from Poland (english with polish translation)

Albert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXWGKvfVJg

• Gayle
    Gayle

Clearly,,Ray Franz was not pointing to himself, not starting a 'new' religion,,only pointing people to God & Jesus,,clearly disagreeing that people (or organization) set themselves up as the 'way' or 'channel' for others salvation, etc.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

very interesting. Thanks for posting this interview.

• caliber
    caliber

Ray Franz was and is a wonderful man . It takes a big man to admit your life's work was in error .

I am reminded of a quote that fits Ray's life...

"The value of an idea has nothing whatever to do with the sincerity of the man who expresses it."

He fully believed ... but even sincere belief can be misled...

So Ray see's the facts but never lets bitterness swallow him up. A man of wisdom, integrity accepting truth without bitterness,

C.O.C. pg 274 "We have been followers of followers." Another said, "We have been victims of victims." I think both statements are
    true. Charles Taze Russell followed the views of certain men of his time, was victimized by some of the myths they propagated as
    'revealed truth." Each successive part of the organizational leadership has followed along, at times contributing additional myth
    in support of, or in elaboration of, the original myth. In place of rancor, I feel only compassion for those men I know, for I too
    was such a "victim of victims," a "follower of followers."

He was without resentment or pride.

another quote ..

I would replace the quality of sincerity with honesty, since one can hold a conviction sincerely without examining it, while honesty would require that one subject one's convictions to frequent scrutiny.
    CHRISTOPHER PHILLIPS, Socrates Cafe

I would say if we had to choose between sincerity and honesty then honesty should prevail . It is much better however

to have both together. Circumstance and the "keep busy "mentality denied Ray and most of us full opportunity

to reflect and self-examine our religion.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I never understood how some can view ray as arrogant or whatever, to admit one mistakes, to point out that we are responsinle for grave errors, to admit that we didn't have enough courage and strenght to take action when we shoudl have, they takes not only humility but tons of fortitute.

• steve2
    steve2

I always feel tremendous emotion when I either read about Ray or hear him speak.

It may sound dramatic, but I think he saved my life. When I was struggling in the early 1980s with whether to grin and bear what I saw happening in the organization or leave, I saw absolutely no hope for having a better life. The local elders firmly told me that no one else doubted the truth so I needed to examine my heart.

By sheer coincidence, the Time article on Ray appeared soon thereafter and it was the beginning of a new life for me. I left the organization at huge personal cost - up to 3 generations of my extended family have shunned me - I decided on pursuing a university education which has led to my becoming a registered clinical psychologist with a successful career and a very rewarding family life. Oh, the local elders predicted that if I left I'd end up "mental" (i.e., I presume they meant I'd become mentally disordered). The best response to one's critics is to live well.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Steve, great story... Iam happy about your succes!

Albert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit