blah

by wizardca 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• wizardca
    wizardca

Just need to vent for a minute....

Sister's husband out of work (both JDubs). It was suggested he go back to school and try to become a radiology tech. Good money and fairly in demand around here. Sister spouts out that they know a JDub HIGH SCHOOL kid taking classes at the local community college so he can more easily get into that program and have less to do out of high school. Then sister says they knew of a brudder who left the coveted radiology program to go to Bethell even though he was so close to graduating from the program.

First question is, higher education is ok again? Can we say flip-flopping, yet again? Then if you are that close to graduation and taking the Boards to be a Radiology Tech...why not delay Bethell a few months and finish? You'd be worth more working in a medical area at Bethell. I'm just curious if new Bethell member will be kept or sent back.

Stupid people.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

There is no flip flop in progress. Higher education is being trashed at this year's Arsembly

• BadBettie
    BadBettie

My parents (my Dad is an elder with a position, so it isn't necessarily a "fringe opinion") had never saved the money for me to be in school, but my mother said I needed some college to get through with my life. At the least to take something like a office management course so I could make in the $20-40+ an hour in office work as opposed to minimum-15$ an hour.

They felt that if I got qualification for a job that I could do part-time and make decent money, I could pioneer the rest of the time and get a job anywhere in the world. My Very very devout sister did the same to become an insurance saleslady and she makes good bank working a few days a week.

Other community college courses that you can take have to do with drafting, welding, all sorts of things. Education to them in that way isn't bad.

Becoming an engineer or a pathologist would yeild a "now be realistic" response, at the same time I was told I can do it if I really want (their disapprovakl would have guilted old me out of it).

Keep in mind though on the East Coast they refer to West coast Witnesses as "The Reformed Church of Jehovah's Witnesses". That is probably part of it. At least a third of our youths went to some kind of college. Also college in Canada is different in some ways.

The college life experience now, that is something else. That's part of what got me thinking differently and got me out (I realised all worldly people are not unhappy vacant miserable people that use you for nothing. There are nice loving friendly enriched people too, also logic does not mean right as it depends on what you base it on). The odd few hours a week isn't bad for classes, full time school for longer than a few terms would probably have a big effect on many.

Other parents outright refused to pay or help their kids so it does differ I suppose. I was lucky. I got anything I wanted paid for in the end and since I was a smart kid in high school the government got the rest. I now work with computers mostly and it's great. I didn't need school for that too, I'm just a geek.

Religion wide though, generally speaking, secondary education is not recommended as it distracts from what they want and think they need you to do. That and it cracks open your brain into different ways of thinking.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The religion trashes higher education. Since 2005, they have been working on a crackdown on college. In 2007, there was a talk (you may have seen the video many times) comparing going to college to shooting oneself in the head. During 2008 and 2009, they have been doing more--anyone whose children go to college, or that goes to college themselves, will have all their "privileges" revoked. Children that go to college have to be cut off from any funding, plus the parents have to do all they can to prevent them from continuing, if they want any "privileges".

About the only thing they are supposed to do with college is set up booths on campuses to recruit the students. Now, if only the college administrators would realize that this is going to get those who join the religion to drop out, they might not be so kind to allow the witlesses to set up booths on campus. Then the witlesses will think those people are from Satan, evil beings that only want to murder all those living on campus and out to no good.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

This subject burns my butt! JW's sure don't mind being serviced and attended to by others who DO have higher education such as doctors and personel in the medical field, flight control techs and pilots, (who oftentimes get their experience from the military), lawyers and all sorts of folks who work for the government! This is but a few types of occupations that JW's can't get into themselves, but use services like thee every day.

WTS wants their minds closed. A sure sign of utter control.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit