"What makes one HAPPY?"

by quietlyleaving 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

this topic is being discussed on another forum I've begun attending and I wondered what JWN members think enhances well being and happiness.

A psycholgist who has studied the subject was surprised that money is not at the top of most people's lists - social support including family, friends and such networks occupies the top spot. (No surprise then that this is the WTS' ultimate disciplinary method).

what do you all think?

what are some other ways of achieving and maintaining well being and happiness?

• free2think
    free2think

Spending time with the people that i love, family and friends brings me the most happiness. And even if its not a daily or even weekly thing, the anticipation of seeing them makes me happy.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Security, no stress and no worries.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Good friends.

Everything else around you can turn to shit, but if you are with good friends who support each other, all of the bad shit can be dealt with and you can even have a good time dealing with it and reminiscing about those times later.

Chris

• dutchstef
    dutchstef

Waking up at 08:30 hrs in the morning on a free day, the sun shining and walking to the coffemachine and find a note there from your husband who's gone to work saying:

Boooh I love yoouuuu!.

Have a nice day

See you this later

xxx

That happened to me last thuesday and makes me verry happy

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

thanks for your comments

it is very understandable why many stay in for family.

dutchef you hubby sounds lovely

A point that struck me, and which I have seen mentioned here very frequently, is the part forms of quieting the mind plays in happiness. Whereas striving too much has a negative effect on well being - the wts of course emphasizes investing more and more energy in the WBTS and continual stiving. For many of us, once we decide to break free, it is quite hard to modify this habit.

The article points out that taking risks and trying new things enhances well being and imo this can help in quitting the destructive pattern of feeling one hasn't done enough.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

The Buddhists teach that dissatisfaction is caused by desire. When we desire something to be other than the way it is now, we are unhappy. They teach that the way to eliminate dissatisfaction is to eliminate desire.

Personally, I think dissatisfaction is often caused by not understanding what we want. We think we want money, but really what we want may be security, a sense of acheivement or pleasure. I think that figuring out exactly what you want and devising a plan for the best way to acheive it is what makes one happy. I think the reason so many of us consider friends, family and our support system as vital to our happiness is that being able to talk about our feelings, goals and plans with them helps us better understand what we want and how to get it.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

bluecanary

The Buddhists teach that dissatisfaction is caused by desire. When we desire something to be other than the way it is now, we are unhappy. They teach that the way to eliminate dissatisfaction is to eliminate desire.

Personally, I think dissatisfaction is often caused by not understanding what we want. We think we want money, but really what we want may be security, a sense of acheivement or pleasure. I think that figuring out exactly what you want and devising a plan for the best way to acheive it is what makes one happy. I think the reason so many of us consider friends, family and our support system as vital to our happiness is that being able to talk about our feelings, goals and plans with them helps us better understand what we want and how to get it.

yes I agree. family and friends know us better than anyone else and can help us identify our strengths and preferences to work with whatever deep-seated motivation we have. I guess for those who've had to give up family a discussion board such as this can fill the gap for a time.

I like what buddhists have to say about mindfulness and intuition in accessing latent regenerating impulses

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

In case anyone is interested in what further research is being done here is a link to what one psychologist, who is herself researching the subject, has to say

http://www.open.ac.uk/platform/campus/your-subject/business-and-management/what-makes-people-happy

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

ME.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit