The Horizon Project Earthquakes, again!!

by skin 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• skin
    skin

http://www.thehorizonproject.com/earthquakes.cfm

This "thehorizonproject" earthquake chart raised its ugly head again last weekend at our Public Talk. I couldn’t believe it!. The speaker had printed a copy of this chart and held it up for all to see the sudden increase of earthquakes since the year 2000. He used it as proof that we most be so close to the end. It’s a shame that even Elders don’t research what it is they are talking about.

Six months ago I received the "thehorizonproject" email from another Witness and I replied to him to take another look at the source data from http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/world/historical. It said that this source data is “Selected earthquakes of general historic interest”. So this so called proof chart is incorrectly generated from only a selection of earthquakes. I then went on direct him to this page from that same site: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learning/faq/?categoryID=6&faqID=110 where it says this: “Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years”. His reply was positive; he admitted to not researching into it and then went on to say how the Faithful slave warns us about believing all information on the internet, etc.

I would love to show these facts to this Public speaker, but I think I would be viewed as one that is trying to find fault with the teaching, and then they would not listen or want to listen. Especially since this teaching serves the interests of the watchtower so well.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Did the other jw hear the talk too? If so, what does he think about the inaccurate information?

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

It's a pity they did not point out that Jesus did not use the words "increase", "decrease", "victims", "intensity", or "strength".

All that Jesus told them was that they would hear about earthquakes but to ensure they were not concerned by them. Rather, they were to watch out for deceivers.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Maybe pass the info on to the dubs who are listening to this crap.

It will show the speaker up for his "slanting evidence" and for not taking heed to verify his info and sources.

I think that would be a good thing, because it might give example to the Dubs to be more thorough in checking things out.

Forget the speaker...he's probably too arrogant to care and yes, it would be turned back on you for questioning.

The most good is showing his error to other Dubs. It undermines his "evidence" and teaches them to take a harder look at what they are being fed.

• skin
    skin

No the other JW was not there, he lives in another town.

There is no way that I could now show those who heard his talk the facts about that chart without it being turned back on me, instantly they would view me as someone who is doubting those faithful words and that I should not believe everything that is on the net.

• skin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit