No Virginia, there is no Santa Claus and everything will NOT be alright ...

by The Berean 4 Replies latest jw friends

• The Berean
    The Berean

It seems to me that mankind's need throughout history for a higher power has been predicated on escape from the deadend journey we call life. Why else would such unproveable "pie in the sky" delusions of eternal bliss captivate the masses since the beginning of time. Fear is conquered by a spiritual belief that everthing will be alright, regardless of how it appears. The need for such medicine, to me, is a sign of weakness.

There is a group, however, who view their existence realistically. First, they are thankful for what little or much they have been given. These appreciate whatever time remains and do not require a promise of a hereafter. It is understood that the journey is a series of highs and lows, pain and pleasure, honor and rejection. The strong blame no one for their plight and demand no entitlement for their efforts. They will assist other travelers as possible while being careful not to hinder the progress of others who take a different road.

Some of these pragmatists contribute to this board. I salute you. Enjoy the ride!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Being a member of the Reality-Based Community requires some heavy lifting. It also requires tolerance and patience. It involves accepting the things that you cannot change. It involves allowing others to enjoy their Liberty.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

May I ask (politely, not being disrespectful), you comment that they are thankful for what little or much they are given. To whom are they thankful? Is it just an expression, or is there someone these "things" are attributed to if belief in God/higher power is a "sign of weakness"?

I am having trouble seeing this from your perspective, I would like to understand you better.

• chickpea
    chickpea

just had this convo with my 16 YO

it is nice to entertain a "hope"
    there might be "more" than
    just this one time around,
    but when one realizes everything
    in our experience is derived from,
    basically, star-dust, from whence
    we came and to which we return.....
    at least for me, that realization is
    akin to a religious experience!
    holy stigmata, batman!

bits of each of us has been around
    in some form or another for billions
    of years, and will continue forward,
    whether or not there is a consciousness
    accompanying it.... ergo: LIVE THIS LIFE
    like it is the only one you will ever know
    you have lived!

• The Berean
    The Berean

kitten whiskers:

I'll try to clarify my expression. To me, there are many things I am thankful for that have not been created or caused by an individual, group, or Diety. I am thankful I have a roof over my head but I am not crediting the builder, the bank, the shingle company or soldiers who may have died to protect the land, even though they may all have had a part. Many things converged by "time and unforseen occurence" which resulted in having what I do or don't have. The point is I draw little significance from individual conditions, events, or tragedies. It is my belief that weak people must have cause and effect, cause and effect, cause and effect ... the strong don't revisit how they got to where they are, they simply maximize their situation. Incidentally, "weak" is not a negative term. After all women are referred to as " weaker vessels." (Bible opinion, not mine)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit