is john barr still alive

by joelingeorgia 8 Replies latest jw friends

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

are ted and john the last of the old guard? is john still alive?

its interesting to see these people who shaped my beliefs and life for so long now dying.

• sir82
    sir82

Still alive - his picture is in the latest book released at the DC this year.

Yep, he & Jaracz are the last of the "old guard" - the rest of the GB were appointed in the 90's or later.

And with Jaracz incapacitated due to his recent stroke, and Barr over age 95, their influence is waning.

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

it has been interesting to watch from the outside as the religion that I grew up in has disappeared.

so many major changes to beliefs. it is really a different religion now. it has to be the most malleable

religious belief system in the history of mankind. I knew that would have to drop the generation doctrine.

what will be next.

1. 1914 disappears

2. blood transfusions deemed ok.

3. disfellowshipping eliminated

4. 144,000 shown to be symbolic not literal number, but two class system will remain.

5. birthday celebrations become acceptable.

i think all of these are possible within my lifetime, the next 20 years.

• dozy
    dozy

Still alive last I heard. Very frail now.

• sir82
    sir82

Of your list, I can envision 2, 4, and 5 happening.

Re: #1, 1914, I don't see it disappearing, just kind of fading into less and less importance. Sort of like the SDAs and 1844 - IIRC, they still hold to that date as of some importance but don't emphasize it.

They will never drop #3 - disfellowshipping. It is their #1 control mechanism, their primary means to exercise power. To the guys at the top, it's all about power and control - everything else is secondary.

The problem is that it is a religion run by committee now, and all changes must be run past the legal team before being released. They days of a dynamic leader pulling prophetic interpretations out of his nether regions and instantaneously redirecting the organization are long gone.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Oh my. Memories! I remember visiting Bethal with friends as a young woman and the mother bringing homemade maple syrup to John! Governing Body worship...it happens!

• ninja
    ninja

jack barr can't be that bad....homeschool's sister was at an assembly where he was giving a talk

• ninja
    ninja

bttt

• homeschool
    homeschool

Not sure if he was giving a talk or just giving experiences as a "guest"....my sister made it sound like he (Barr) was the cutest lil old man EVER with an adorable accent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit