My morbid fear of rejection ...

by The Berean 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Berean
    The Berean

It probably all began woth having no Father or male influence during childhood to tell me how well I was doing. As a youngster the most unpleasant task involved knocking as a JW on doors of people who didn't want you there and being told I was not welcome.

It went farther than that. Before conversion, Mother had grown up as a Salvation Army disciplinarian and most everything I did was wrong or unhealthy according to her. I grew to believe I was inferior. Although I had talent in music and journalism to pursue such would be rejected by Jehovah.

I grew tired of confrontation and correction and gave up on life in my early twenties. I rufused to compete for anything ... jobs, girls, or power. The fear of rejection was agreater risk than the possible reward of accomplishment. I continue to this day with low self esteem and the need to flee from confrontation. Even when others are actually trying to give aid, I interpret it as degrading counsel.Oh how I wish i could ignor my critics and mark them of as my equal rendering a simple point of view. But I am oversensetive. Is my phobia rare or do others have similar fears?

• White Dove
    White Dove

I think you described my whole family. I, too, am very sensitive to correction, viewing it as degradation.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Group therapy might be good for you. Codependents anonymous.

S

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Many others have similar fears. One school of thought suggests a cure in the form of experiencing a large amount of rejection in order to learn to cope with it.

For example, getting a telemarketing job, or knocking on doors as a Jehovah's Witness.

• The Berean
    The Berean

Fadeout;

I get it. Sort of like getting back up on the horse! What an idea!(not)

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I can relate to some of how you feel. I had a father but he always told me I was ugly, had an ugly name, an ugly personality. I wasted a good chunk of my life feeling inferior and not living up to my potential. I don't know how old you are, but I've found that the older I get, the less I care what other people think.

THEY should be worried about what I think of them!!

You seem incredibly intelligent and articulate. I enjoy your posts, very insightful and caring of other people.

Keep trying, and don't give up.

Hugs and Kisses to you

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I think this is incredibly common in any one who was raised by overly critical, domineering parents. Most child development psychologists agree that children need about a raito of 90% positive reinforcement to 10% criticism for healthy self-esteem to thrive. In my family, as in many, the ratio was inverted.

Many adults have been able to overcome such a childhood conditoning. We can control our thoughts to some degree. If we can change our minds we can change our lives. Don't believe everything you think.

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

Yeah B, I have the same exact fear. A fear of rejection, correction, and failure. To this day I have never been able to get a girlfriend in the borg and out. Im tryin to get over it!

• oldflame
    oldflame

Hey guys, I know it might sound tough or fearful but it really isn't. You got to realize that you are people too just like every other person in this whole world, no one is looking at you and that there are a lot of people in the world that are good people and good people that are the majority I think anyways.

It is just as easy finding good friends who will love you for all that you are and there is nothing to fear from this world except fear ! My best advice as someone who completely understands where you are coming from, go out there . There is a whole world for you to see, experience and enjoy and that world is full of wonderful people who would do anything for you and some so good that they would give their lives for you.

SO GO GET IT ! & GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEW JOURNEY !

OldFlame

Merrill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit