Reaching Out

by lancelink 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• lancelink
    lancelink

Did any of you guys ever try to "spiritually advance" by really making an effort in reaching out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

only to be overlooked while some other brother who was honestly just a brown-noser or genuine hypocrite gets appointed

without hardly any effort on his part?

Back in the early 90's I was honestly trying my best to become a ms, and yet everytime the co came by I would approach the elders and always get some aspect of my spiritual life that was "off".

It doesn't matter that I was

1) happily married with well-adjusted children.

2) give talks several times each month at the TMS

3) have a book study at my home.

4), Was out in service EVERY SATURDAY.

5) help at the quick builds whenever i was asked.

6) run the microphones, and set up EVERY WEEK for the tms and sm.

7) mow the KH grass.

8) was involved in a DA part.

9) opened different meetings with a prayer several times a month.

(I don't mean to sound self rightous here, but I was honestly doing my best to "help jehovahs organization".)

By the next visit I would have improved, and then they would pull some other area out and use it.

EX #1: OK, the problem here is that you need to improve your RV's, and answering at the sunday meetings.

EX#2: CO just left / Well, you need to work on your answers at the BS, and taking more of the lead in cleaning the hall.

3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, was always something new.

And then,, brother BN, or my favorite, a new brother who was a good friend or related to 1-2 elders would move in and

bingo!! he would be appointed the very next time the Co came by. No wonderfullly upbuilding past record,

And watching I noticed a pattern start to develop:

after a year or two bro. wonderful:(R. towns) left his wife and young family for a co-worker. One's wife (picarelli) died under mysterious circumstances.

The other was in business with the PO, (renfrow)and he was known as the cong. pervert for several years. The last time I spoke to a member of this cong. nobody respects him, and most of the young people (over 15) have been df'ed, left, are thinking of leaving, or just go to make their parents happy and will leave at the first chance.

So are there any other stories, or am I just a typically bitter old man, upset that I wasted the best years of my life trying to help the borg.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I was MS for 3 years, I should not have reach out at the first place, that is how I feel about it.

• stillin
    stillin

a lot of that is just personality stuff. I think sometimes they're just put off by intelligence and you pose a threat to them. Sometimes just getting a different CO will do the job. He says, what's up with Bro Goodguy? and the locals really can't defend themselves and BAM! you're an MS! My sympathies...

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I'm just a lower-than-dirt-on-the-floor female, so I didn't have many opportunities to start with. I did everything I could, studied and commented like crazied, auxiliary pioneered often, encouraged other people to study and pioneer. I was on the school but I was hardly ever scheduled for talks in every hall I was in. I had to beg to be given a talk. I offered to do substitutes all the time. No go. Any duty I volunteered for, I was turned down. I've never figured out why they didn't want my help.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Just be glad that you didn't have any privileges in the congregation.

It is harder to leave the cult when you have a lot of privileges and responsibilities.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Same story as you Lancelink, did everything asked of me and more, yet after each c/o’s visit there was always something else that I needed to work on. It didn’t help that I wasn’t related to any of the elders or in a particular boys group. Later on I learnt various elders were holing grudges against me for “dobbing” them in to the society over some unscriptural practices. By the time I was appointed an ms in another congo, all of the previous body of elders bar 1 had been deleted. Corrupt sons of %$#%^’s!

Mattieu

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never wanted those assignments--too much work and hassle and zero reward. After all, why would I want to do more if I am going to die just as dead for not doing something even more as I am going to if I dog it?

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

I was an Elder for 6 years. I know that I only got appointed because one brother "went to bat for me". Then I remember several brothers who were appointed because they were related to the "right" people. It didn't take long for me to realize "holy spirit" will run and hide from appointing brothers. BTW - There are many sisters who would have done ten times the job most of the elders on my body did.

• Edington
    Edington

My father was overlooked for many many years, there was always something he had to work on just like lancelink even though he was hard working & absolutely honest in his dealings. He eventually 'made the grade' & became a MS.

Other men were appointed ahead of him that eventually caused the congregation several problems, one elder was caught claiming unemployment benefit whilst working.

However out of the blue at one meeting an anouncement was made that I had been made a MS. I was totally stunned as no one had approached me to see how I felt about it!

Also I couldn't understand how a young gay man & habitual wanker like me could've been selected by 'holy spirit' when my father had struggled for so many years to make the grade.

Ed

• meangirl
    meangirl

My husband was a "professional" ministerial servant for 17 years!!!!! We pioneered together, he gave a zillion talks, etc. but he was just not part of the "good ole boys club" in other words didn't kiss ass so they just kept on coming up with reasons why he couldn't be an elder.....weird.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit