JW and Depression

by is there help out there 5 Replies latest jw friends

• is there help out there
    is there help out there

We all know that about 40% or more JW suffer from some form of depression. We also know that a large % of JW drink alcohol which also cause depression. Therefore we now have some realy secewed up JW. A JW who now suffer from depression and drinks which causes more depression. We now have some realy screwed up super depressed JW.

• The Berean
    The Berean

To me, the question is: Does the organization simply attract those who were predisposed to suffer from depression and addiction in any circumstance. That might skew the stats ...

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

I was raised a JW and suffered depression in my early 20s. It was connected to my "friends" all getting hooked-up and married and then having nothing to do with me as I no longer fitted in with them.

I've got family members who also suffer from depression and I'm convinced that it comes from the holier than thou attitude that is so prevalent within. if you are constantly being told that you can and should do better then no wonder people start to get depressed over it!

• is there help out there
    is there help out there

I helped a young girl leaving the truth. I helped her get set up in the own appartment etc. She called me up one day and she said she lost something and she said she could not find it. I asked her what is was and she said "Depression".

• villabolo
    villabolo

"To me, the question is: Does the organization simply attract those who were predisposed to suffer from depression and addiction in any circumstance. That might skew the stats ..."

Berean, I think the JWs both attract those who are predisposed to depression, and makes their depression worse as well as causing depression in those who otherwise may not have it. If you don't have a problem when joining the JWs they'll give you one.

villabolo

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, those with mental issues are more likely to fall for the promise of better things ahead than those in good shape. This explains why there are still some being recruited from the field--and, when those promises are broken, why so many of them turn apostate.

This does not fully explain it. Those who were born in do not have that issue. Rather, the problem of depression stems from never having any fun. They are dragged out in field circus, often accompanied with spankings and beatings (and threats of more of the same when they get home) for such whopping articles of badness as crying, fidgeting, getting distracted while out in field circus, not paying attention at the Kingdumb Hell, and complaining because they have been out in field circus all morning (usually accompanied with the threat of being dragged out all afternoon as well).

Beyond that, they are deprived of fun time. Weekends are made for field circus, not cartoons or playing. They are forced out in field circus instead of playtime or study time after school. They lose all their school recesses for field circus. They see everyone else having fun, but they cannot. In school, they are not allowed to play with other children unless they are witlesses, plus they are supposed to witless to other children (who almost never fall for it, and often report it to the teachers so the witless children get in trouble). Every holiday and birthday is taken away from them. They see other children getting their sun-worship gifts, they see the sun-worship decorations--yet they are told that these things are wicked and stopped from enjoying them like other children.

Add a little bit of being threatened with death (blood and gore depicted) unless they fully obey the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, houndings to pio-sneer, never being good enough, knowing that they will never go to college or make a decent living, and the pressure to get baptized (sometimes as young as 6, as they are threatened that they will not survive unless they get baptized that young), and you have a never-fail recipe for Trouble. And often, these children develop envy, with the result that they themselves start hounding the crap out of everyone else that is a little more lenient and preventing congregations from becoming more lenient and allowing a little fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit