Would you like to be a member of the "Governing Body"?

by The Berean 6 Replies latest jw friends

• The Berean
    The Berean

Oh, the good life ... at what cost?

• Imagine for a moment that you could attain a position of adoration from seven million people.
    • Imagine that all of your everyday needs were supplied for you simply for talking about a pie-in-the-the-sky vision.
    • Imagine having millions of slaves who regularly sent you endless amounts of hard-earned money to fund such a "delusion"
    • Suppose you could write, change, and exempt yourself from the rules that an entire sub-culture lived by.
    • Imagine a free legal team at your disposal to justify, protect, and defend your every action.
    • Imagine that your entire environment waited with baited breath for your next statement, wrote it down, and took it as gospel.
    • Suppose you were led to believe you were closer to God than most everyone and that you were one who had the power to alter the course of history..
    • Consider having a staff of "front people" who would not only protect your access but would take responsibility for anything that might reflect badly on you.
    • Think of what it would be like if others believed that you should be treated the same as Jesus.

And yet, this is the world for those within the walls of the Watchtower boardroom.

While members of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses are the focus of doubt and condemnation by former members, one has to wonder how many critics might "sell out," compromise, and accept the position as God's supposed mediator to enjoy the benefits of playing the game, even to the detriment of millions of suporters who seem to relish their servitude.

Perhaps I am weak, evil, and selfish, but with a life of obscurity I would have probably thought long and hard about refusing such an anointing from people who were already bent on worshipping someone. Would you?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Since, as Elizabeth I so baldly put it, I wasn't born crested, the question really doesn't apply to me.

I will say, however, according to The Master's words at Luke 12, the GB is in line for His special discipline.

Watch for it.

Sylvia

• The Berean
    The Berean

Sylvia:

You never know. The "light might get brighter" and your image might be placed on a stone pedestal as "the Virgin Elizabeth."

• snowbird
    snowbird
    The "light might get brighter"

LOL.

If the WT ever allowed women on the GB, that light would be blinding!

Sylvia

• VIII
    VIII

Sounds like a politician.

Even stranger, it sounds like Obama.

• Position of Adoration
    • Everday needs taken care of by taking a pie-in-the-sky position
    • Endless *slaves* who send you their hard earned money for hearing that delusion ("Change"; things seem strangely the same in DC-Corrupt)
    • He changes the rules (No lobbyiest in the R & F, More Czars, etc.)
    • He has a free legal team at his disposal to justify, defend and protect his every action. And we, the taxpayers, are paying for them.
    • People wait with baited breath for his next news conference, his next speech and his next prouncement and take it as gospel.
    • He has been compared to Jesus and it has been said he is altering the course the history.
    • He has a staff of people who control access and take responsibility for anything that might reflect badly on him.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Same old story.

Power is hard to resist, isn't it?

edited to add:

I don't care if it's religious or political or the board of cupcake selection at the rest home.

People want to be in charge. People like being in charge. People like having power.

If god were so smart and all seeing, he would have turned off that part of their brain. It would have saved so much trouble and pain and suffering in the world.

• BloominMarvellous
    BloominMarvellous

I would love to be a member of the governing body so I could tell all the faithful servants that its all lies

Bloomin x

• Heaven
    Heaven

Would you like to be a member of the "Governing Body"?

I give a resounding "No!"

I have more important things to do... like wash my hair... and change the tires on my jeep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit