fantastic day!!

by chicken little 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• chicken little
    chicken little

We all stood under an old walnut tree, gathered around a homemade alter with a basin and jug set upon it.

A female ordained priest led the ancient ceremony of christening the child into the christian faith. The sun broke out as we sang a hymn

of praise. Two young people provided the musical backing and all the family and friends stood by watching and smiling.

After the ceremony an old family relative walked among the guests playing her accordian and everyone was singing and smiling.

We sang a song to Hollyrose and signed in the deaf signs as we watched the young girl who lead us. Tears poured down my face as I looked around the forty or so assorted ages gently waving their hands and singing to Hollyrose.

We were not family, just new friends to the two mums that were having thier child christened. They never gave it a thought that we in the past would never have been at such an occasion, not just because of the religious element but also because of their lifestyle. I felt so humbled, so privilaged to be asked to witness this private event.

The love I felt wrapped around us that day will be something I will never forget. It is so strange that I attended a funeral two weeks ago and felt the same feelings of humilty, awe and deep appreciation for being included in something so extremely personal and private. Two events that as a witness I would have looked upon as "spiritually unclean"....oh how ashamed I am, and I can only thank the friends I have made since I have left for their deep tolerance and embracing love. I stand the sinner, asking for forgiveness for my ignorance.

A truly wonderful day under the old walnut tree.

Chicken little

• awildflower
    awildflower

God I love that!..........wf

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

amazing how emotion is so tightly involved with the religious experience. W.Once

• chicken little
    chicken little

Not with the religious experience....I dont believe in God anymore. Emotion is strongly connected for me with humanity. I feel a deep connection to people of whatever creed or orientation. Love of people is my religion.

• White Dove
    White Dove

How awesome! Were there deaf there?

• chicken little
    chicken little

The musician was a teacher to deaf children. There was three there who were signers...funny enough I learnt to sign when I had a bible study with a deaf girl over 25 years ago.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

That may be so Chicken, but my statement still stands. People in the "Truth" reject that their religion is based on emotion, that is a falsehood. It is not a religion of reasoning alone. It takes a great deal of emotion to give up reason when looking at the FDS doctrine and subjecting yourself to janitors who become your overlords. Bogus Schmogus. Glad you had signers there. My grands were deaf. W.Once

• Emma
    Emma

What a beautiful experience; thanks so much for sharing. Emma

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit