How does a low hematocrit count affect overall general health?

by ldrnomo 1 Replies latest watchtower medical

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Years ago a women in the congregation I was going to went to the hospital she needed blood but refused her hematocrit level went way down and stated down for a few days. It finally started to climb up slowly and she got better. However it seems now 20 years later she has many health problems with weak bones, bad leg problems etc.

So my question is this:

Does this low blood count she experienced for days early on in life affect her general health now?

LD

• JeffT
    JeffT

It shouldn't. My father is a hematologist/oncologist so I grew up with this stuff. The hematocrit is the percentage of red blood cells in the blood, it should be 40-50 percent. When it goes to low the blood can't transport oxygen and nutrients so you get weak. Red blood cells are continually replaced so if the source of the low hematocritic (most commonly bleeding) is fixed it will come back up in a few days. Blood transfusions are intended to get you through a crisis.

Weak bones are a result of calcium loss with age. The leg problems could be diabetes or circulatory problems, these are unlikely to be related to the blood loss a long time ago.

A more important question: what was the underlying problem that produced the low hematocritic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit