huh, russell may not have been a freemason

by 504deist 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 504deist
    504deist

i'm proud to be a freemason. i always hated the connection made between charles taze russell and the masons. i was looking at different masonic sites and came across an interesting article about men people assumed were masons, but weren't. i was delighted to see russells name on there. i need to do more research, but, i'm really hoping this is true. here's what the author said.

Charles Taze Russell, the founder of the Jehovah's Witness faith, was a Mason. Some have charged that his tombstone appears as a keystone (a symbol used in Royal Arch Masonry), that there appears on the stone a crown and cross and that the stone is in the shape of a pyramid. (Those who make the claim do so for their own ends ignoring the fact that the cross and crown have long been symbols of Christianity, that the pyramid is often used in one-dimension view to represent the Trinity etc.) A review of Russell's personal life would have likely found him unwelcome within a Lodge. A current author says of him "Russell's faults as a writer were perhaps the least of his shortcomings. Accusations of sexual and financial improprieties, for example, dogged him throughout his adult life. Russell's notorious difficulties with his long-suffering wife Maria, aired during a series of sensational libel, separation, and alimony suits near the turn of the century, became a particular source of embarrassment for both the pastor and his flock. (Russell's stature couldn't have been enhanced when a Pennsylvania judge concluded that his "continual arrogant domination" of his wife was enough to "render the life of any sensitive Christian woman a burden and make her life intolerable." 4 This notwithstanding, Pastor Russell did, upon occasion, make reference to Masons.

Oh, and did we mention?: the "tombstone" that's so often referred to is actually a monument erected to Russell by the Watchtower Society which has regularly criticized Freemasonry. Pastor Russell's actual gravestone (shown above) is a couple of dozen yards away.

this article had nothing to do with witnesses except that. i thought it was interesting. on a side note, the author spoke highly of everyone but russell. i thought that was funny.

• wobble
    wobble

I have a feeling you are right,504Deist,and CTR never was a Mason.

I think the movement would have interested him.and no doubt he was well read on the subject,you can see this in some of his writings,he also does not seem to have the antipathy towards the craft that later WT writers have.

I don't quite understand how proving he was a Mason would help any anti-CTR cause anyway,do you ?

love

Wobble

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Oh, and did we mention?: the "tombstone" that's so often referred to is actually a monument erected to Russell by the Watchtower Society which has regularly criticized Freemasonry. Pastor Russell's actual gravestone (shown above) is a couple of dozen yards away.

I sometimes wonder if da Judge had the pyramid erected to cast doubt over Russell's character. Mind you, he did a good enough job on his own with Miracle Wheatâ„¢ LOL.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I agree. This has been discussed here ad nauseum, and no proof has ever been provided that he was a freemason. Being one seems like it would be a good thing, to me. A friend of mine joined up just recently.

S

• 504deist
    504deist

wobble, alot of people think we are into the occult. so, to some people, proving ctr was a mason would help cast a shadow on his christianity. alot of christians, espically the catholics and evangelicals beat this drum about the masons. i actually joined the masons kinda hoping this was true, as i am interested in the occult. i was kind of disappointed when i got in and found out this wasn't true. the disappointment was shortly lived when i realised how much i was learning and how much it benefitted my life.

mickey mouse, nothing about "the judge" would surprise me.

satanus, i'm sorry, i didn't realise this had been discussed efore. i just saw the article and thought it interesting. as far as masonry being a good thing to join, if you do decide you may want to go down the masonic path, i'd love to talk to you about it. i never "recruit" for it. i had a buddy of mine join. before i brought his petition in, i sat him down and almost tried to talk him out of it. i wanted to make sure he was doing it because HE wanted to, not because i did it. masons should never try to persuade a man to join. if i make it sound like something it isn't, and then you get in and feel like it's something different than what you were led to believe, you won't find much joy in it. also, a man is asked several times before he is let in if he is there "of his own free will and accord". if i talked you into it, you would have to answer no, and should be asked to leave the lodge if this is the case. i can tell you, i have really enjoyed my path in the lodge.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

There never was proof of Russell being a mason just as there is no proof he was into ocult even though he used to believe in pyramidology. I always find it odd that other religions will make up stuff to discredit Russell when there is enough true facts that can discredit Russell :)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thankyou for the offer. I worked w a lower member of the rosicrucians for a while. Great guy. He offered to sponsor me. It looked very interesting, but i declined, because i don't think that i can join any group.

S

Ps, the rosis do some occult or psychic type practices.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit