Discussing Blood with JW relatives?

by Gladring 5 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Gladring
    Gladring

I guess it's going to happen to all of us sooner or later. One of our relatives will need surgery and possibly blood.

Has anyone got experience of talking to JW relatives about blood?

My father views any discussion of the WTBTS as a personal attack on his faith. Do I bring up the blood thing now and risk driving a wedge between us, or do I leave it?

• undercover
    undercover

It ain't easy, especially if the JW family member feels that just discussing it is an attack on their faith.

You may not be able to make them see the light, but you can at least try, but at some point you may to agree to disagree and each make their own personal decision.

I've accepted that they are adults and have the right to make their own decision.. I can't force them to accept a procedure they feel is wrong...but they can't force me to not accept a procedure I have no problem with.

I know they're wrong, they think they know I'm wrong. It's an impasse...so I make my personal decision and I will respect theirs since I can't convince them otherwise.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Acceptance of fractions would be a good thing to start with. That way you could subtley let him know that they can accept most components of blood and then see what his opinion is.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret
    I've accepted that they are adults and have the right to make their own decision..

@ Undercover

What happens when there are children involved? They are not adults but their mind-controlled parents inflict their own beliefs and decisions on them, with possible lethal consequences.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Don't TELL him anything.

If you cannot resist the urge to say something.......

..........Find out what they teach now from their latest blurb on it and ASK QUESTIONS.

If he spouts BS, you may be able to gently point him to the relevant noo lite without creating a ruckus. Then again, you might not. Tread carefully.

Just try not to TELL him anything. He is trained to not listen.

Cheers

Chris

• undercover
    undercover
    What happens when there are children involved? They are not adults but their mind-controlled parents inflict their own beliefs and decisions on them, with possible lethal consequences.

That's a whole different set of circumstances. My original post was on the assumption that all involved were adults...because Gladring mentioned his father and in my situation, all discussions have been between adults.

Not having children myself, I have not given a lot of thought as to how handle that situation. I know that it would be a very difficult situation...and my gut reaction is that, knowing what we know, one would have to rise up, possibly exposing our 'apostate' thinking (if one is a fader) and make a stand for the safety and welfare of the child.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit