untitled

by Maddie 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Maddie
    Maddie

I found this information about how we may be viewed as ex JW members as to our credibility on the things we say about the WT. I found it a little worrying to be honest, so I thought I would take a long, hard look at myself.

Academics debate as to the reliability of the testimonies of critical former members (apostates). Some scholars challenge the reliability of apostates' testimony. For example Bryan R. Wilson, a professor of sociology at Oxford University, in a collection of essays [10] he edited in 1981, writes that apostates from new religious movements generally stand in need of self-justification, seeking to reconstruct their own past and to excuse their former affiliations, while blaming their former closest associates. Wilson introduces the concept of the atrocity story (compare the "atrocity tale" of Bromley, Shupe and Centimiglia, (1979) [11] ) that apostates rehearse in order to explain how, by manipulation, coercion or deceit, the group that they now condemn recruited them.

Other academics find such testimonies of former members generally reliable. For example, Benjamin Zablocki, a professor of sociology at Rutgers University, when analyzing leaver responses, found the testimonies of former members as least as reliable as statements from the groups themselves.[12] Reliability of the testimony of critical ex-members (apostates)

The article talks about self-justification; a rehearsed atrocity tale and blame, to excuse ourselves. It goes on to say that other academics find the testimonies of former members reliable.

I kind of did a moral inventory on myself after reading this and have to be honest and say that I have been guilty of anger and resentment towards the WT many times since I decided to leave. I have found it hard at times not to vent these feelings on unsuspecting JW's but have not succumbed as yet. However, I never felt the need to justify or excuse my reasons for leaving at the expense of others. The truth is that when I realised I was in a deceptive cult, that was all the reason I needed to leave.

Like many of us here, I was faced with an intolerable situation - the loss of loved ones or living a lie! I chose to leave and the repercussions have been devastating enough without having to invent anything more.

As far as I am aware, all the information about the WT that I have researched is correct and my testimony is not exaggerated.

How do you all feel about this issue? I would be grateful to hear your views.

Maddie

• Maddie
    Maddie

I found this information about how we may be viewed as ex JW members as to our credibility on the things we say about the WT. I found it a little worrying to be honest, so I thought I would take a long, hard look at myself. This is the article:-

Academics debate as to the reliability of the testimonies of critical former members (apostates). Some scholars challenge the reliability of apostates' testimony. For example Bryan R. Wilson, a professor of sociology at Oxford University, in a collection of essays [10] he edited in 1981, writes that apostates from new religious movements generally stand in need of self-justification, seeking to reconstruct their own past and to excuse their former affiliations, while blaming their former closest associates. Wilson introduces the concept of the atrocity story (compare the "atrocity tale" of Bromley, Shupe and Centimiglia, (1979) [11] ) that apostates rehearse in order to explain how, by manipulation, coercion or deceit, the group that they now condemn recruited them.

Other academics find such testimonies of former members generally reliable. For example, Benjamin Zablocki, a professor of sociology at Rutgers University, when analyzing leaver responses, found the testimonies of former members as least as reliable as statements from the groups themselves.[12] Reliability of the testimony of critical ex-members (apostates)

The article talks about self-justification; a rehearsed atrocity tale and blame, to excuse ourselves. It goes on to say that other academics find the testimonies of former members reliable.

I kind of did a moral inventory on myself after reading this and have to be honest and say that I have been guilty of anger and resentment towards the WT many times since I decided to leave. I have found it hard at times not to vent these feelings on unsuspecting JW's but have not succumbed as yet. However, I never felt the need to justify or excuse my reasons for leaving at the expense of others. The truth is that when I realised I was in a deceptive cult, that was all the reason I needed to leave.

Like many of us here, I was faced with an intolerable situation - the loss of loved ones or living a lie! I chose to leave and the repercussions have been devastating enough without having to invent anything more.

As far as I am aware, all the information about the WT that I have researched is correct and my testimony is not exaggerated.

How do you all feel about this issue? I would be grateful to hear your views.

Maddie

• Heaven
    Heaven

The article talks about self-justification; a rehearsed atrocity tale and blame, to excuse ourselves.

As a non-JW, I am not a former member, and therefore, I am not here to self-justify myself. I am here to learn about what goes on within the WTS, to learn about others issues with this organization so that I can try to help my MS father who is having difficulties. I am also here to warn others about the WTS. It is not what it first appears to be.

As someone who once studied with JWs but never joined, I am on the outside of the organization with family members who are 'in', so I have a slightly different perspective and experience than those who are considered 'apostates'. I actually CAN see the forest ... because I'm NOT standing among the trees. Things look very differently once you step back and survey the whole picture.

My experience is simply that once my parents became baptized, they gradually withdrew from their children and grandchildren (none of us are baptized). They tried to indoctrinate us but none of us could understand the constant shifting of doctrine and inconsistencies between the Bible and WTS publications, policies, and doctrines. There was an increasing lack of love justified by righteousness. My mother's health deteriorated and she eventually died. Now my father's health has come to a point where he can no longer function as a 'witness'... he can no longer 'pioneer'. He is not doing well anymore. He refuses to go to a doctor but he is having a lot of problems.

These are the basic facts regarding my 'tale'. There are many details I could relate that would probably bore most here because they already know them. They have lived them. Yes, there are some people who like to exaggerate.. this is true of anyone, not just ex-JWs. Many JWs don't even come forward... they don't even say a word. What I can tell you is that most of what I have read on this Forum as well as the Internet rings true. I have seen and experienced a lot of it... my father has also told me some things that confirm what I had suspected and what I have also read about.

It is only human to be angry when one has been mislead or mistreated. As I said earlier, this organization is not what it presents itself to be.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

same here maddie - my testimony isn't exaggerated either but I think if we were to start a anti-cult movement then Bryan Wilson's findings would need to be taken on board.

The anti cult movements of the sixties did tend to exaggerate and go on the warpath regarding the coercive manipulatory elements of cults and this then impacted freedom of religion. Eileen Barker expresssed similar views to Bryan Wilson after studying new religious movements, including Jehovahs witnesses. She drew attention to the high turnover rate amongst new religious movements - people are supposedly free to stay or leave. But in real life, as we have found, it can be quite different - depending on circumstances, for many it can be just like the anti cult movements say it is and for others they can just walk away.

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Mind Control fodder.

WTS IS the Apostate. They turn to Men and Mediate for rightful connection to God. They kick Jesus to the curb and put themselvels in his place, knowing full well that he is the Way to the Father. WTS Takes the Truth of what Jesus taught and twists it to their agenda, then adds Paul's teachings, which so much of were not of jesus. WTS has turned their back on God by by using His Name to justiffy their OWN doctrine, created to suite their own agenda. WTS uses fear and retribution, punishment and disassociation as a manipulative tactic to heard their sheep. WTS started a sect in the Name of God to steer true lovers of God away from God, and demanded focus on their counsel...littered with false teachings, to serve them.

I did not need to rehearse anything....it just came out of me naturally to walk away.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Personally, I think both perspectives can be true. That's why I think people need to be careful in the manner in which they present their testimony, so as to not fit the stereotype that Wilson presents, and that all cults hold of its ex-members. Let's be honest. There are at least some people who fit the description of rabid apostate, and blame the borg for everything wrong in their life. I think these are the ones he was referring to.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Re: Are we being fair to the Watchtower Org.?!!

Well, let's see...At best, most exjws were denied the right to independent thought, higher education and were under the threat of death at impending Armageddon if they didn't toe the company line. At worst, many exjws have lost their family and friends for refusing to:

stay silent about child molestation and domestic violence and doubts of scriptural grounds to many of the rules.

risk their freedom over the neutrality issue.

risk their lives over the ban on blood transfusions.

At this point, I'm wondering why in the world, the so-called expert quoted in the article isn't asking, "Is the Watchtower organization fair to its followers?"

You'll get no guilt or regrets from me. I've told my story several times, and EVERY WORD OF IT IS TRUE. Placing blame is different than placing responsibility. The men on the governing body know, or should know all of the corruption that is going on in their organization. People are suffering real terror and trauma over a cult that disguises itself as a religion with making money as its only goal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit