At the hospital today I apologized to a disassociated sister

by BonaFide 9 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Got back from the hospital awhile ago. An older brother I know is very ill. In his 60's. One of his family members is a girl in her 20's. I heard she was dissassociated, and perhaps an apostate, but I am not sure of her "status."

At the hospital I hugged everyone, including her. Then after we talked about her family member who is ill, she said she wanted to tell me something. She said that years ago, when I went with another elder to her house, she had just stepped in for a minute to her boyfriends house, and she wasn't living there. I had gone there with another elder, and she had answered the door, it was pretty early in the morning. We then formed a committee. She wasn't disfellowshipped at that time. Anyway, she had been carrying that around for years, that she wasn't guilty like it appeared to us then. Then today when she saw me, she brought that up. Strange.

So I said, "Look, I have changed a lot since then, I had no right to judge you."

She ignored that and again said she wasn't sinning at that time. So I said again, "I have changed a lot since then, and I had no right to judge you or anyone else. I am really sorry for doing that. It was none of my business and no one else's either." No one heard me but her. We made some serious eye contact, and I am pretty sure she figured out what I meant, which is that no one should get into two consenting adults business. She smiled, and she said, "Yes, thank you. I appreciate that. I feel the same way."

It felt good to apologize that I had judged her in any way. And it seems to me she understood what I meant. I am pretty confident she won't rat me out, she doesn't go to meetings. But imagine her carrying around that feeling of unworthiness and misunderstanding, when in reality she did nothing wrong. I am so glad I said something.

BF

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm glad for you that you were able to apologize and to make her smile. I hope it has helped you, to be able to hear her side and convey to her how much you understand.

• Robdar
    Robdar

You're a good man.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

We then formed a committee. She wasn't disfellowshipped at that time. Anyway, she had been carrying that around for years, that she wasn't guilty like it appeared to us then. Then today when she saw me, she brought that up. Strange.

Not to pick BF, as I do enjoy reading your posts, but in forming a commitee based on her being at her bf's house so early, would the fact that she wasn't guilty and that she had just stepped in for a minute, been already dealt with at that time? Wss she just reiterating?

Thats really awsome you apologised. I hope I have the opportunity to do the same some day.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

How completely lovely and awesome.

I second Robdar. You are a good man, "Bonafide".

Love,
    "Baba".

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Good for you and her!

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

BF, you have no idea what that would mean to me, if an elder apologized for the way he treated me. Every elder I've known could only be self-defensive and self-righteous. I would freely forgive whoever gave such a simple apology. You did the right thing.

• lancelink
    lancelink

Thank you for posting your story.

So many times it seems people are bitter, and only look at the dark side of being/getting out of the witnesses.

Your story was a real inspiration to me, I appreciate it !!!

• caliber
    caliber

In some families, please is described as the magic word. In our house, however, it was sorry. ~Margaret Laurence

An apology is a best way I know of to have the last word ! Good for you ....saying I''m sorry is only too late standing over a grave , other

than that it is hugely beneficial especially when uncalled for or unasked for ......cheers !!! .... .....~~~~Cal

• mac n cheese
    mac n cheese

Wow, this sounds like...the way a true "Christian" would behave. If the elders who dragged us to Hades and back were even a BIT considerate, say, actually followed a Bible principle, or even apologized at all for the lies and abuse they heaved at us, we probably would have stayed in.

I'm glad they didn't, because the cruelty woke us up.

I'm very impressed BonaFide. If I ever am in a position to do so, I will apologize to people I judged, following your example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit