Three World Views Compared and Contrasted

by Perry 0 Replies latest jw friends

• Perry
    Perry

Dear Six,

I decided to post my reply to you as a new thread. I had no idea how much I had to say about the subject. I welcome all comments.

Perry

Six,

When I say that the university I attended was liberal, technically what I mean is that it taught secular humanism as the basis or template to test knowledge. I didn't know any better and never even heard of the term until I was out of college.

Secular humanism basically says that we are the center of experience and reality and that we are basically good. The reason we do bad things from time to time is because of the environment, social structure, ineffective government etc. - No need for biblical direction with that view. Government is highly prized. And the family is seen as fluid, its definition very relaxed, and really more of a nuisance to better world government, its true aim. This is the world view we see permeated throughout western culture and avidly taught in our academic institutions.

The WTBS teaches a similar world view in that it teaches the organization (governing body) is the center of reality, it gives lip service to the idea of fallen flesh but teaches that the real reason that we do bad things from time to time is because we are not keeping up with new light (governing body), not heeding the warnings, not doing enough personal study, field service... etc. This world view leaves out the institution of government altogether, though it must "do business" with it to survive. It cripples and minimizes the institution of family because it takes over many of the natural functions of family. How many times have we all went to a family member for some confidential solace and were met with a regurgitation of linguistic triggers used by the society. Words and phrases loaded with a psychological punch designed to threaten rather than comfort. Here's a few examples I'm sure will suffice.

1. "running ahead of the organization"
    2. "personal study" - it's anything but personal
    3. The use and definition of the word "Slave"
    4. "independent thinking"
    5. The word "truth" - how its used as a magical salve cure all
    6 The word "world" or "worldly" - to describe a general concept of evil.
    7. The very concept of "service" to our fellow man

The use of these terms (triggers) in normal family relationships allow family members to defer the emotional responsibility of parents, siblings, and children to the organization... effectively stealing its function - a place of refuge, comfort, acceptance and a low-risk environment to express deep affection. In short, it promotes the organization as the center.

An honest examination of the bible seems to present a much more balanced world-view. One where the institutions of government, family and religion are highly regarded as sacred and how they can all function together to maximize our happines and ability to live god-like lives. The bible describes each's function and puts limits on how much we are to allow each area to influence us. Briefly the biblical world view:

1. Says we are sinful by nature and do good things because we imitate God.

2. Christ is the center.

3. Family is a gift God has given us so we can practice and hone his qualities in a small unit and thereby have a greater chance of success. Family is an institution highly regarded by God and he gives us a lot of latitude in it, recoginizing its ability to make us feel strong, loved, and secure. God loves to give authority away whenever possible.

4. Religion is a tool used to congregate for the purpose of futher developing the fruitages of the spirit. As a tool it is not worshipped and given an identity. People are encouraged to be on the alert for abuses of authority within it. Our membership is based on its usefulness in our lives. Never are we to equate a social and authoritarian structure with God or Christ. That is idolatry. As a tool....say a hammer, if its broken it may be discarded. We are not to discard the building of the house of God though or the development of the fruitages of the spirit in our lives.

5. Government is a God ordained institution to:
    a. provide justice
    b. defense
    c. order
    d. its success is in relation to how closely it administers it duties in a christlike way.
    e. it functions until Christ establishes his government...until then we are to do what we can for it while still keeping it in it's God ordained position.

It wasn't until I dated a young lady several months ago that it all came together for me. She went to a private christian school while growing up. She was constantly puzzzled by my quandries and loaned me her senior year textbook entitled, "Understanding The Times" by David A. Noebel

The book compares and contrasts three world views, Secular Humanism, Marxism and Leninism, and Biblical Christianity. It take each world view and applies it to the fields of Theology, Philosophy, Ethics,Biology, Psychology, Sociology, Law, Politics, Economics and History. It is a very thorough work and I highly reccommend reading it. It made me understand that I do have a choice in how I view the world and reality in general instead of just having on handed to me as the "truth".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit